Old 08-10-2011   #11
No footpegs in my boat. Bulk head only in the Fusion for me.

As far as edginess and forgiveness and secondary stability, I think the boats are very very similar in that they are both more stable than your average creek boat. The hull shape on the fusion is designed for stability with speed, and it holds a line nicely like a Karnali.

Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011   #12
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Paddling Since: 2007
Originally Posted by johnovice View Post
What's your height/weight? (both boats come in 2 sizes)
5'11" 250lbs...I'll be coming off a marathon though, so I'll probably be at least 20lbs lighter

RomanLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011   #13
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
If you are thinking of doing some XP10 customizing for your trip, a strap over the hatch could be a good idea -- maybe not as critical if most of your gear is on a raft. If you scroll half way down the linked page (self-support GC trip), it looks like there is such a strap on the yellow boat.

Liquid Logic Remix XP10 review by Ted Keyes

The XP10 hatch has a tab at the stern end that fits under a slot in the hatch coaming. The hatch then closes pretty well when you push the hatch down all the way. There is also a "tab" on the front of the hatch. A thin rubber strip attached to the front hatch coming can be pulled over that tab for some extra security (sorry, no photo). That small rubber strip on the XP10 I have rented has disconnected on one side (probably repairable) -- not sure if this is due to abuse by renters/students or if this is a weak link in the chain.
johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011   #14
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Paddling Since: 2007
Originally Posted by Cutch View Post
The Fusion is a dream in big water! Actually, one of the only disadvantages of the Fusion is the lack of a center pillar (cause it's narrower) gives the hull a little less support when on creek like runs (the XP has the center pillar). This hasn't been a problem on shallow runs, but could on more abusive creeks.
I didn't realize that. I called Pyranha and they said there's a center pillar, but it's in front of the bulkhead. It still seems like wrapping it could be a concern though. The specs say it's 26" wide like pretty much every other boat, so it seems weird there isn't room for a pillar. I guess I'm just going to have to make a road trip and paddle one.
RomanLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011   #15
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
A recent description of the details of the two different outfitting options for the Fusion:
Pyranha Fusion outfitting - options - Canoeing / Kayaking

From the videos linked to this link, it appears that the RT outfitting (foot pedals) has a fairly short center pillar toward the front of the bow while the Connect 30 has the bulkhead w/o pedals (and perhaps a short pillar in front of that bulkhead -- can't see from vid.).

johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote