Old 03-20-2007   #1
WW Canoe paddles?

Looking for a decent OC-1 paddle. any suggestions? Has anyone used the Werner Bandit Carbon Canoe Paddle or the fiberglass bandit? thanks.

madriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007   #2
oc-1 paddles.....

Am kinda new to OC-1s...
I haven't used any Werners personally..... Mitchell, Galasport, and will give an Echo a try this Spring. Love Galasport's Doubletorque shaft..will try to get an Echo Creekstick blade into the DT shaft to see how that works.

BigSpencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007   #3
Steamboat Springs, CO
Paddling Since: 1995
Listen to Big Spencer
Tiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #4
West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
For what it is worth, I have a couple of fiberglass Bandits and would not recommend them. They are low cost, but the blades wear out quickly on the bottom and on your on side. Also, the blade is a little smaller then my other paddles and does not feel like it bites as well as my other paddles. This is especially notable as the blade wears.

If your looking for a spoon blade, I have had good experiences with my Mitchell and Aquabound paddles. My Mitchell has a wood shaft and carbon blade and like it for deeper water runs. It is an expensive paddle. However, the blade is wrapped with epoxy rope on the side, has a metal tip on the bottom, wood T grip, nicely balanced and is reasonably light. The wood shaft has some flex, but the blade feels nice and stiff. It also has an oval shape in the shaft for the bottom hand. I broke the back face of the blade on the Royal Gorge a few years ago and Mitchell fixed it for a very fair price.

I also use an Aquabound Carbon Edge. I really like this paddle, it is cost effective, light and so far very durable. I use it if I am paddling shallower, rocky, creekier type runs.

I have a buddy who uses a Galasport all Carbon Fiber. It is super light and has held up for him so far as it has taken a beating. However, I think his paddle is more of a racing paddle, not sure if it a good choice, if your a rock basher. I am sure Galasport has other options.
Chief Niwot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #5

Yes, I too have heard nothing negative towards Aquabound's all carbon..
AJ, Mitchell makes some great is yours as far as weight..? (Sounds like if light enough, a very sweet paddle...)
madriver..."too much" paddle-talk, like ski-talk, doesn't exist!

BigSpencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007   #6
Send a message via ICQ to northfwestg
oc1 padles

yo bandits are good but blades are smallish.
love many trust few always paddle your oun canoe

northfwestg is offline   Reply With Quote