Old 04-07-2010   #11
I would agree with everyone saying be thankful. You are the only other person besides myself that I know of that has broken a WRSI. When I broke mine I was very impressed with the impact absorption and it definitely held up as much as I could have expected. WRSI makes awesome helmets. I hope your experience doesn't deter you from getting another one. Thanks for sharing. Be safe.

ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010   #12
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
Oh, and if you haven't notified WRSI about what happened, you should. Even if they don't send you a new shell, which they might, it'll help them with their designs in the future.

craven_morhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010   #13
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I've heard of just that happening with a helmet before, but it was a motorcycle helmet (in a motorcycling situation). It was a one of those flip-up/full face helmets and the problem is that the jaw-protection is largely superficial and it cracks easily in an impact -- then the shards generally go straight into your pretty face. Here's a link of the type of helmet-style I'm talking about.

Flip-Up Helmets | Helmet City

You should tell WRSI just so they can think about it in their next generation of helmets. I have a Sweet Rocker helmet and it's visor could do the same thing, but I like it anyway.

BTW, I agree with Ture and others above. Helmets need to balance the factors of absorbing impact & protecting from sharp objects. I might look like Napoleon Dynamite in my creeking helmet, but it guards my grill and would absorb a hard hit versus sending it straight on to my already abused brain.

In theory river rocks are supposed to be round, too, right? Ha!
Damn it feels good
Schizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010   #14
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
Shut up, Shizzle. You dont have a rocker.

But ya do look like Napoleon with that blue short-bus helmet on....and ya pasty white ass. You look sick, dog.

And who cares if it guards yo grill man. Shizzle's grill's so ugly his dentist treats him by mail. Shizzle so ugly if ugly were bricks he'd have his own projects. Shizzle so ugly he went bungee jumpin and they put the cord around his neck. He so ugly his shadow quit.

..oh and post pics of the helmet
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010   #15
Kayak/SUP Instructor
The High Ground, Colorado
I think we've determined this thread is useless without pictures.
"Let us cross the river to the other side and rest beneath the shade of the trees." ~ Last words of Thomas Jonathan ''Stonewall' Jackson
Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010   #16
303, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Hey guys!
I have talked to Nick and he told me that they received the helmet back for testing and they are looking at it.

I think that it is nice that a company cares enough to take the time and test the helmet.

It is hard to test for every incident ever and I am sure they will consider this accident in their next design.

I am very sorry that you were hurt and I am glad that you are ok.

-Christine, Team WRSI

"I would lick it up if it weren't all glassified and on concrete"
CUkayakGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

helmet, helmets, wrsi