Old 04-14-2011   #1
Canton, Georgia
Wilderness Systems Tsunami 120 or 125 for me?

I'm trying to figure out the correct "fitting" of a kayak cockpit in a boat with thigh braces? I'm trying to decide between a Tsunami 120 and 125. I fit differently in both. I'm 5'9, 160 lbs (I can get up to 170 lbs when I'm training more due to increased muscle)

In the 120, my legs are slightly bent, the thigh braces tend to sit on the inside of my thighs and they're very snug and easy to get a tight controlled feeling. I do feel a little more tight in this boat, but very tied into it.

In the 125, I feel like I have much more room but I don't fit into the thigh braces as well. They tend to sit near my knees instead of the inside of my thighs and my legs are much more angled while sitting there. Unless I'm actively pressing my knees up into the thigh braces, they are kind of loose in them... I can literally slide a hand in between my leg and the thigh brace. This boat feels a tad more comfy but I'm guessing it's because I have room to shift around in a lot more.

What is a more correct fit? What should I expect and be striving for with fit in these boats? This is my first boat with thigh braces so I don't know what's best...

intargc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011   #2
Goshen, New York
This is more of a whitewater board, so you may get better advice at, but generally a little on the tight side is where you want to me. If you are too loose in the boat, you won't be able to control it with your hips. That said, you oughta man up and get a whitewater boat.

rebel1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011   #3
Canton, Georgia

I've considered doing whitewater... I have a shoulder injury where my shoulder dislocates easily. Literally, I have sneezed before and it dislocated. I had shoulder surgery about 7 months ago and have been cleared to do some calm kayaking for now. I also enjoy just putting around exploring mostly. Taking in wildlife and scenery and such. However, when my shoulder heals up more and I become stronger, I have actually considered getting a good whitewater boat and going for it after some training and such. The Tsunami would be my touring boat where I can go on camping trips and such...

Anyway, thanks for the help!
intargc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011   #4
Goshen, New York
Have fun man
rebel1916 is offline   Reply With Quote