Old 07-13-2010   #11
Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
Penguin, sorry to hear you lost your umbrella, mine made it thru although it was furled most of the time, but when it was open it worked well. Kazak's bimini looks nice from other pics he's posted and have seriously thought about getting one for mellow trips. I bought one of the sport-brellas like Olslo but when I put it on the raft found that I could not open and close it without having passengers dive for the floor, it was nice, but just too damm big, would have had to elevate it so high that it would have become a spinnaker.
Almost got another cheep 'brella and and stand to have complete for and aft coverage. Easy to open and fast to close, cheap to replace. Mine has survived 2 seasons now

Penguin, how did the biminis work in the rain and wind storm on the 4th?

Sorry to have missed y'all on Deso

The el-cheepo brolly (furled):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2253.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	659.5 KB
ID:	2876  

oarframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010   #12
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to J
I did the ghetto version and it has worked well. Got the T fitting, etc described by Andy H. and a 20 dollar umbrella from Target. It's lasted 3 seasons with no issues so far.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2564.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	547.0 KB
ID:	2877  

J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010   #13
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Clavey Raft Frame Umbrella Stand

These are sweet, but big. Big as in thick around the pipe, so they don't fit nestled up against the cooler unless you create clearance. They are really nice because they are a split fitting, which is uncommon for speedrail, so you can just put it on when you need it without dismantling your frame.

I also had a friend make one out of a LoPro and a tiny piece of pipe. Also easy to install and remove, and I think he just drilled and made his own set screw to hold the umbrella in.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010   #14
Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
AAA Inflatables makes one too, and it's cheaper than the Clavey:

I have one, and it is nice to be able to put it on and take it off at will.

I am still looking for something good to put in it though. I am thinking a Bimini or something like it is still best. I have the sportbrella, and it's OK, but it has the same drawbacks as any umbrella, and it's heavy. It also has a small diameter post, so you'll need to put some sort of sleeve into the holder to get it to fit.
BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010   #15
Mt Hood, Oregon
We have used a tractor umbrella (blue one) for years, sturdy holds up in wind and quick to come down,never replaced it, swivels, when mounted actually becomes a bit of a back rest for rower. When down, we strap it tight and it is out of way. We use a costco $20 one in the other side mount. some guy is now selling the tractor umbrellas with his logo. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3496.JPG
Views:	518
Size:	708.0 KB
ID:	2878. We went to a farm and ranch store to get ours.
eastcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010   #16
Colorado Springs Paddling Since: 1983
I only have 7 days of use with a Sportsbrella so we'll see how it holds up over time. I actually got two from Costco. I mounted them with DRE brackets. Overall I was happy for the price. They held up well in moderate wind. Two of them completely shade the boat, coolers, etc. They can be difficult to raise due to their size but that's the trade off for being cheap. I did drill a hole through the upright to secure the unit into the stand. I also had to shim out the DRE bracket with some PVC since it's designed for a 1" upright and the Sportsbrella pole isn't nearly that big. We use them for shade for a girl's soccer team also so they probably have another week's worth of use there without problem. So far so good.
Mike Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010   #17
That was definitely us. Thought I saw a utah flag too. Nobody in my group mentioned anybody being uncordial so no problem. Yeah, we had messed around taking runs through wire fence in the ducky that morning and scouted 3 fords from there running it behind you and you guys motored down a bit in front of us. Cool. We had a slow trip with a layover and didn't take out until Monday.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010   #18
Louisville, Colorado
Heading out soon for Deso trip with a new 6*8 bimini from River Sombrero for the NRS Cat, and an Umbrella for the SD Puma. Very excited for shade! I wilted thoroughly on the Salt in March without shade, I couldn't imagine Deso without it (first deso trip). Mounted the vented umbrella on foot bar with an attachment from AAA ( have thus far failed to reinforceit though). We will se how it goes.
catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010   #19
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to yogi
Heavy Cantilever Style Umbrella

I found a huge cantilever style umbrella like this one on craigslist. It's square with 8 feet sides. I'm thinking of mounting it on an umbrella holder like the ones above. Anyone use something heavy like this?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	resize.jpeg
Views:	119
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	2879  

yogi is offline   Reply With Quote