Old 08-17-2010   #21
Idaho Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
My girlfriend is about her size but it depends on how strong she is too. She loves the Jefe and the small Nomad. I'm about your weight but only 5'10" and I also like these boats. I didn't read all these posts so someone may have already suggested these options...

shortbus has a good point...this is about her. If she digs the sport, she will most likely want to paddle with you most of the time. Therefore getting a boat for both of you is probably a bad idea...let her demo some boats and get her the one she likes the most. You stand a much better chance of her really getting into the sport that way.

Oh yeah...and don't throw her in too fast. I made this mistake about a year ago with my girl and she hasn't paddled since then. Apparently getting beat down in a big hole and having a cold, long swim wasn't her idea of a good time!

glcasson21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010   #22
front range, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1972
Previous posts about "whose boat it is" have a good point

I'd suggest a perception Corsica. Once you find one it won't put you back much.

whitewater golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010   #23
Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
"I am about 150 lbs 6' 1.5""...!!!

I am with JCKeck... someone give this guy a sandwich.. Heck.. Everyone give this guy a sandwich!! I know Heroin addicts that got 20 lbs on you,.... ooops, sorry if I out'ed you, but seriously, kick that shit..
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010   #24
Provo, Utah
Thanks for all the input! This community has been a real resource for me and my wife getting more serious about the sport. We have purchased two boats and received lots of advice via lurking.

1) I am not a crack addict, . I have a crazy metabolism and always have. My grandfather is 73 and he is still tall and skinny just like me... I will however be accepting free sandwiches.
2) The initial idea of having a boat that would be stable and friendly for my wife and yet allow me to do some mild creeking was actually suggested by my wife.
3)In the end I left the decision up to her as to which boat she got. We tried out several different boats including the mamba 8, hero, burn M, remix 59, 2fun, fun, and the little hero. We would have tried a punk rocker but couldn't find one. We were also told the cockpit might be a little short for my leggy wife anyway.

The final decision she made was on a slightly pink and black swirled hero. She felt the most comfortable in the fun, but the most stable in the hero. The boat will see mostly mild class III for her and then the occasional self-support trip, park and huck, and a little class IV creeking for me.

My wife's final words before we got the pink one were, "now when you take it out you can get more in touch with your feminine side."

Thanks again!

afaust is offline   Reply With Quote