Old 06-12-2013   #31
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to bolsito
Wow, so much internet hate. Everyone needs to take a step back - if you bought a paddle and it broke on the first use, you'd be pissed off too.

I've mostly good experiences with Werner, but at the same time I was on an Embudo trip where someone had a blade fall off of a foam core paddle on the leadin to Cheesegrater. He ended up swimming, luckily we found the paddle as evidence of the failure of the product.

Point is, it's possible that this was a defective product. The lesson is that if you want a quick turnaround on a warranty, go through the retailer. Whether it be CKS, REI, or Amazon, they will often be willing to front the money and deal with the manufacturer directly.

The other lesson is, don't expect sympathy from people on this forum. Personally, I like to hear about negative experiences with companies, I think that it's one of the few ways that consumers can enforce accountability. Thanks for posting.

Scott Andrews
(nine seven eight)-46O-3347
bolsito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013   #32
Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990

This kind of reminds me of this girl:

The customer is always right... in their our mind.

I love to dance, but who needs the music- It throws me off.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013   #33
Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
You should have bought an AT I heard they never break. Dude you are out of your mind. I have never had a Werner break. I have a Werner Sho-Gun, and treat it rough no issues. Mike is right if you want a bomber paddle don't buy an adjustable.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013   #34
Prineville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
Originally Posted by Anchorless
I love Werner paddles, CKS, AND I hate having shit break on me right out of the box. Sucky situation but you have to temper your expectations a bit.

That said, I bought a dog PFD from MTI (underdog). It ripped pretty bad in only the second use. I emailed MTI and they sent me another PFD right away, no questions asked. A week or so later they asked me to send some pictures of the original and the defect. That's it. Solid work by an awesome company... but even then I was wondering how they protected themselves from being taken advantage of. I totally would have expected a response similar to what Werner gave you.
Not to hijack but I had the same problem with my dog's MTI lifejacket. I was sent a jacket within a week and when I asked if they wanted me to send the old one back, they told me not to worry about it. Problem is that its a design flaw and a dangerous one. We were in a rapid when my dog and passenger were ejected. After passenger was back onboard I try to jerk the dog in by the grab handles and the whole jacket ripped off and my pooch went back in the drink. The cinch straps that hold it on are only cheaply tacked to the shell of the jacket. They may be using cotton thread? Anyway, I wouldn't use the new one because its the same crappy design (made in vietnam). I took the original to my local seemstress and had her run 2 straps all the way around the jacket to support the load rather than trust the original design. The jackets are probably produced for $5.00 so they can easily send you a replacement or 2 and still turn a profit. I'm gonna take the free replacement they sent me and have it beefed up too, but I won't be buying any more MTI products. Dude told me this was the first time one of their dog jackets ever failed so it couldn't be a design flaw. I'm glad he at least asked to see your's. Maybe they're gonna address the issue and improve the design.
BryanS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013   #35
Littleton, Colorado
May I suggest, anyone looking for a paddle that won't break on you, to consider a wooden paddle? Particularly, the hand-made, not-massively-factory-produced kind.

I personally have one from Philip Anderson in Oregon - he only makes straight shaft paddles (maker's preference). At the time I ordered, it was the most affordable among the readily available hand-made wooden paddles.

Other great makers I always hear about and once in a blue moon, witness them on the river are the paddles from Blunt Family and Riverstyx. They make bent shafts and last I checked, are pricier.

Kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013   #36
love the pile on here! Didn't dude just talk about his other werner that he has beat the crap out of for 3 or 4 years. If your so hard up to get out on peak flows why don't you just use your old paddle.
panicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013   #37
Moral of the story is CKS rocks.

It's an interesting dynamic in this community. You break a Werner and have a bad experience and everyone backs Werner, same thing when people have had bad experiences with Kokatat. If your story was the same only it was an AT paddle everyone would be bashing AT rather than you, just as they would with NRS. Your bad experience is the exception, but that doesn't make it less of a bad experience.

I've been through more gear than I would like to admit and I have never sent broken gear back to the manufacturer before they replace or don't replace it. Proof of purchase and photos of the damage have always been sufficient.
Nathan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013   #38
Prineville, Oregon
Kommunity Paddles out of Bend OR also makes wooden paddles.
BryanS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013   #39
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I would just note that your unfortunate warranty experience, and this horrendous thread never would have occurred if you had not chosen to be a SUPer.

That is all.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013   #40
Commercial Paleontology
I'll premise this post with the fact that everyone has their right to an opinion & that is one of the reasons for having a forum such as this....I'm glad for it & really apprciate having the opportunity it provides....

But.... As Bolsito stated...So much bashing...My Goodness people!...I agree that our SUPr expectations are out of line.....Werner makes a great product especially when it comes to durabillty... & they are certainly not out of line to want to see the paddle first before making a decision.....If who you bought the paddle from wants to go to bat for you as CKS did before Werner figures it out...That's Awesome!...Kudos to them!...My local shop did that for me on a AT paddle I broke & I had a paddle within 3-4 days...and that was because of his shops excellent customer service.........That being said.... I have STILL broken two Werner paddles...I returned of which they warranteed & one I Had to pay for the repair...Both situations were handled just fine.......So don't worry SUPr...they will take care of you in the time it takes if it is justified............

BUT...Back to the Bashing.............AND...

I direct this towards Caspermike as much as anyone......Do you have to be So negative & arrogant with all your name calling & condecending conjecture???...Like you never have had to throw a brace to save your butt from getting knocked over?.....From the time you became a member of this site...I would venture to say that you have posted more negative & downright nasty posts than any other person on this site.....I do remember back some time ago when you replied to a feed where you truly complimented someone on a post...I was like Wow!...maybe someone actually ran into you who was tired of your arrogance as I am & finally bitch slapped you bringing your attention to start to see the light a little regarding your consistent repugnant attitude......But of course not long after that you were back to the same old ungracious, demeaning style............... Granted CasperMike & anyone who the shoe fits... You are entitled to your opinion......................And I am not saying that you have never posted anything Worthy Caspermike....I do Applaud your Enthusiasm & Motiavation for the sport...And we do enjoy seeing your pics/videos & any pertinent info you post about the rivers & creeks you are knowledgeable on.....But Maybe...Just Maybe...You could tone down the aggressive, judgemental attitude you so regularly portray...

And yes Caspermike that is just my personal opinion.....but I will tell you...And I say this with all Honesty...I have met numerous folks on the rivers now over the years where your name came up assciated with posts on MtnBuzz....You have a negative you can take it however you want for what it's worth.....

Sorry to all for side tracking this post...

MtnGuyXC is offline   Reply With Quote