Old 07-05-2011   #11
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I paddled a Villain (small) for about three days out in Oregon this summer and I have to say I am impressed. I got back in my Jefe (old outfitting) and it feels so uncomfortable, and very slow. I never really thought that "holding a line" was that important, but you point the Villain where you want and it just seems to go there. Also it is a hole punching machine with the narrow front end. After I got back in my Jefe it seemed like every little hole was stopping me and stern quirting me.

I also really like the Jackson outfitting. I like the fact that the foot braces give a little. They never felt loose to me, but I got the feeling that if I pitoned hard, they would give just enough. If they are not tight enough, you just pop your skirt and tighten them, no need to exit the boat. That is also a nice feature if there is a long paddle in or paddle out, you can just loosen em up to uncramp your feet. I also liked how easy it was to add more foam to the thigh braces.

Now I just need to break my Jefe so I have an excuse to get a Villain.

Claytonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011   #12
Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 82
I just picked up a villain S at the CKS 4th of july sale. I'm really digging the boat. The first 30 minutes in it felt a little squirlly after being in a Fun w/ a flat hull. Once I got used to the roundish hull, and its secondary stability things were back on auto pilot. It does punch holes quite well, and rolls almost as easy as the FUn. One thing that stood out to me was how fast it will carve into an eddy when you through it up on edge, reminded me of a slalom boat.

The reason I went with Jackson: warranty! that, and the fact the the Jefe is too old of a design to be dropping a thousand bucks on. If the stomper was out I would have probably gone that route and been just as happy. ( as long as I didn't break it)

CB Rob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011   #13
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
do it.... you'll wonder why you waited so long... unless its for an end of summer demo deal :]
that being said I traded my Villain for a '11 Superhero cause it works better for me on low volume and stuff. shorter bow for small eddies.
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011   #14
Ft Collins, Colorado
Treewell -

I just swapped from a Diesel 65 to a small Burn and I'm very happy with the swap. I paddled the Diesel for several years in all sorts of water - big, small, hard, not-to-easy (... easy is play boat territory ..). I have the new (2010 model) Burn, and I think it's faster, boofs better, and it sheds water a lot better (more peaked deck) than the Diesel. And it surfs better and pearls less. I think Pyrahna underestimates volume, or Wave Sport overestimates as the boats look to be virtually identical in volume (the S Burn is supposed to be 63 gals but who knows). I don't feel much difference in stability or ease of rolling (both roll easily). If you set the boats side-by-side and compare the hulls, you can see why the burn accelerates so much faster - the shape of the flat part of the hull is quite different in shape. Can't speak to the Villain, but I'm very happy with the Burn (and I really liked the Diesel). One down side is that I find the Burn really uncomfortable to carry, and it takes a skirt with an XL deck (i.e., your Diesel skirt won't fit a Burn).

johng is offline   Reply With Quote