Old 04-11-2011   #1
norcal, California
Why a double rail rowing frame?

What's the advantage to a double rail rowing frame, compared to a single rail? Thanks.

barcolounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011   #2
TOUCHDOWN, Mississippi
Paddling Since: 2000
Being able to strap gear to it to sit on top of the tubes

OleMissBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011   #3
Paddling Since: 1994
the number one reason i'll never go back is the ease of getting around. so much easier to balance and pee on the tongue or in tailwaves standing on two bars instead of one. walking on the soggy boat on a cold morning after a hot day. stepping on the frame is nice, no wet feet.

alternative reasons are many. stashing stuff between the bars is easy and you are less likely to lose stuff off the side. it spreads the weight over more tube. i strap my "oh shit" paddle between the rails so i can get at it if i flip. boxes and stuff (kegs) strap down nicely across the top on trips where its prudent. on and on. get double rail and you'll find many reasons of your own. the weight is worth it. i dont know anyone thats gone back.
zach baird
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011   #4
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
on the flip side many of the mfg's of double rail frames just add another rail of the same thickness material when realistically each pipe it doesn't need to be as strong. Like a 1.5" pipe instead of 1" pipe. So it packs a lot more weight for a raft frame maybe as much as 50% more. Also if its a frame using speed rail fittings it is going to be difficult to modify the frame setup but obviously not as difficult as it would be for a welded frame ...

being a single rail cat frame owner I can definately see the advantage of a double rail as I tip tow across my tubes and do the river catwalk ...
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011   #5
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I had a double and now I have a single (both four bays). The double was better for anything multi-day, walking, and strapping buckets to the rails. I chose the single on the new frame because I can have a day frame or three bay, by having an different length of side rail. For my current needs, that was more important.
Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011   #6
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I just bought a double rail, in addition to all the reasons stated, I like the ability to easily tie into the inner rail. My inner rail sits a little off the tube so I can run a strap around it without having to squeeze it under that bar.
goldcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011   #7
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
I have an NRS single rail frame (Bighorn II) but have added plywood boards to essentially make it a "double rail" is nice to walk on from going from bow to stern on my 16'er. It also serves as a great bar top when you need to make a handful of bloody mary's.

I don't think I would go back to not having the boards...just too slippery and not great footing on the tubes especially in the cold air in the morning when your tubes are the softest...

I sanded the boards then put about 4 coats of verathane on them and also sprinkled them with glitter (YES GLITTER) on the last coat to give them a coarse surface for grip...the cool thing about the glitter is that during the day in the sun your boat sparkles!
calendar16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011   #8
pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
I hate twilight.
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011   #9
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Having built and run both sorts, I'd go with the double-rail for larger, load-hauling boats for multi-day trips (for the resons stated above) and a single rail for play-boats, day-boats, and lightweight frames that have to be carried in or out.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011   #10
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I use an NRS frame on my Cat, and I have the NRS side rail racks. I got the three foot size. I can attach them wherever I want along my side rails for a walkway or as a place to strap gear. I've even put one on the back yoke to add a little bit of length to my back cargo bay for strapping down gear. I can remove then when I don't need them, and just have a single rail frame for day trips. I find them very versatile.

cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote