Old 09-11-2011   #1
Trondheim, Norway
Paddling Since: 2010
Whitewater towing/Cow tail

What kind of cow tail/web tow-system would you recommend for whitewater towing?

As I am very happy with my Astral Green Jacket I have been looking into the Astral Web-Tow ( Astral 2011 Products ). For me, which have no experience with white water towing, this seems like a solid solution but there might be some unpractical and risky deals with coiling and tangling? I would prefer that it is ready when I need it and spending time untangling it is not something I want.

I guess the alternative to this is NRS Tow tether, Robson Cowtail and others that stretches? Is that preferable?
I would like to hear about your favorite towing system for WW-usage and why you like it.

Squat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011   #2
B.F.E., Wyoming
ya you should take a swift water rescue class....

freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011   #3
Trondheim, Norway
Paddling Since: 2010
Eventually that is my plan. Unfortunately rescue and safety classes are held in the spring/early summer in my area.
Should I wait until after that class to look into the topic?
In the official classes held here one can use private gear if wanted, and I guess it might be a good opportunity to get familiar with the gear I plan to use afterwards?
Squat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011   #4
x, x
Paddling Since: x
the thing is, you do not want to mis-use your gear or un-knowingly be putting yourself in a bad spot with out training.

however, the 54" bungi style is most common, upgrade to the locking biner or make sure it stays put.

take a SWR class or practice safe rescue tech. with more exp. paddlers.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011   #5
Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I'd recommend using something like the Astral one and keeping the biner/cord tucked in the side pocket of your Green Jacket. If you have access to a climbing store you can make your own for a lot cheaper (probably less than $15 US). I use 5mm or 6mm cord instead of webbing and don't use a locking biner on it, but I do keep a different locker on my PFD. SWR courses are useful, but you don't need to take a SWR course before putting a tether on your PFD, that ridiculous.
Duckins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011   #6
Practice is key, just so you know what to to is it goes wrong.

Make sure you also carry a knife just incase. I'm currently using a Spyderco Delica 4 - details here - Is it sharp enough? | Unsponsored – UK Kayaking

But I have also used the CKRT Bear Claw in the past which is also really good.

unsponsored is offline   Reply With Quote