Mountain Buzz banner

Which pump works best

Tags
pumps
23K views 28 replies 23 participants last post by  upshitscreek 
#1 ·
Back in the day when I was guiding, the Carlson floor pumps were all I ever used. Now, after years away from rafting, I need to purchase a pump for the new family raft. I know the Carlson pumps are still great pumps, but they don’t necessarily agree with the checkbook. The Carlson pumps are also big and take up quite a bit of space. I have not yet seen the K pump in person but I am looking at the K40 or K400 pumps. The double stage pump seems like a good idea and they appear to stow very easily. I plan on trailering the boat so I shouldn’t need to inflate the entire boat on a regular basis. Can anyone attest to the K pumps?

jima

#2 ·
If you are just topping off, get the K-200. Small, less expensive than the 4 series and, I think, for topping off, the 2 stage is over kill. But then if you have a boat that leaks a lot, maybe you want the 2 stage.

#4 ·
I can tell you that when you look at that K pump on the internet it looks sweet, and it is, it's as well made as a Carlson. But it won't pump as comfortably, especially when you have a boat docked on the beach and you realize the actual angle of pumping (leaning over the side, trying not to fall in the mud, pumping 2 PSI with your arms in an awkward position vs. standing on your cooler, box, or decking and pumping while you smoke your cig). Using your body in the pumping position is easier, and IMO worth it. Throw down on the 4" Carlson, a nice mesh zipper bag for it, and rig it so it's hanging off your frame behind your seat, right on top of the gear pile. It'll be sweet for topping off, you'll pass it around to your friends to top off during the rigging part of the morning, and you can put it away right as you float off.

I'm just convinced that you're going to hate pumping with your forearms. Plus when you have to fix your boat sometime, or someone on your trip forgets a pump, you'll be glad that you brought a real pump. And the 4" Carlson is basically the same size as the big K-pump. It just has a T handle and a hose, which is what you want.

#6 ·
i have one of the 6" floor pumps from NRS - a bravo or something like that. like you, i keep my boat trailered and only need to top off when launching. it works money for me, and the price is def. right. i don't like the K pumps for the same reason as randaddy. they're awkward to use.

#7 ·
I love my K-pump. It packs so well, and works so well, I'll never go back to a hose pump. I can't relate to needing any contortionist skills to reach my valves, not sure what's different, maybe I'm more flexible. I hate the hose pumps, it seems like they always need someone to hold the hose and a firm surface to set the pump, and I prefer to be able to just take care of it myself. And they are so flipping big.

The kpump is less appealing blowing up a completely deflated boat. I carry a battery powered pump for that, and if I blew a tube on river I'd just have to suck it up and deal with it. For as rare as that would be, I'm happy with my little K.

They did have some oring problems, but once I get the replacement ones it's been bomber. And now I know how to deal with it if it starts to leak again (stretch the orings) until I get a replacement in. I've gone a whole year after oring replacement, and no problems yet. I also had a barrel pump (not carlson) fail on a trip once, the inner plastic shaft broke and pretty much was worthless.

#8 ·
I love My K Pump

Just got it and I love it.
I have a Puma and it is the best top off pump. I have a one of K Pump. It is sized between the K100 and K200. So Its about 27". I love it. It is so much better than my POS Wonder pump (Obviously). It pumps VERY easily and I would think it would be much easier to fill and empty raft with then my Wonder pump was. Storage bag is great easy to attach to a frame or thwart. I love it. I am sure the K40 or K400 would be just as nice and reliable. Give Jim a call and talk to him about his product or send him an email. You will correspond with him and he is pretty quick to get back to you. Just my .02

#9 ·
Which ever pump you pick, they all will fail or break at some time or another. I carry a spare foot pump in my repair box. Plus you should maintain your pump by cleaning it of sand and dirt. Lightly oil rubber seals and moving parts. You should be able to take your pump apart and put it back together before you take it on a trip. As you know your pump better you will know which spare parts to carry and tools to carry to make field repairs.

#10 ·
Get the K pump. I've had mine for four years now. Never a single problem. Everyone uses my pump now if they need to top off. And as far as it failing, all you need is a couple of O rings in a repair kit in the event that it does fail. Very simple, bomber, stows easily. Plus chicks dig the Popeye forearms. How can you go wrong with that?

#12 ·
I've had the K-400 for a few years now and like it a lot. Getting used to the position of reaching over the tubes took some time, but no more than figuring out how to keep the hose in position with a barrel pump. With the 2-stage pump it takes a lot less energy to top off, though more strokes. I've used it to fully inflate the raft as well. Again, it is no less difficult than using a barrel. Both ways I was tired.

As for customer service, K-pump is excellent. I had a cosmetic crack in a portion of the collar and called Jim at K-pump. He explained the issue and informed me that it was cosmetic. Then without my asking offered to send me new o-rings and grease, plus the new valve fittings. This was one of the best examples of good customer service I have ever had.

The other main pro of the K-pump has been mentioned. The thing stows away much easier than the barrel. Bottom line from my opinion is that they all work. I got used to the K-pump and won't go back to a barrel pump again.

#16 · (Edited)
I dropped $35 for a Bravo II foot pump and it works great for topping off. The hose that comes with it is kind of flimsy and broke after a couple of years and I replaced it immediately with heavy-duty rubber automotive hose for about $5 (get about 6' + of hose to make life easier). The automotive hose will probably last longer than I will.

Easier on the wallet, easy to use, durable, and doesn't take up much space.

#22 ·
with my LVM I just went to batteries plus or whatever you have and get a small 7 to 12 amp 12 volt battery and a little charger. kind of like a small motorcycle battery. then you don't have to mess with the car which is a pain and makes it portable. one charge will last a few inflate/deflate cycles if needed.

#20 ·
I have heard of folks using rechargeable leaf blowers with the nozzle necked down to fit in a valve on a raft. Some of these use the same 18v battery packs as cordless drills.

Definitely low pressure with a good top off pump needed.

lhowemt - have you ever used your K40 to blow up your little cat all the way?
If so was it pretty lame vs a floor pump? Or not that bad with that size boat?

My biggest boat is probably similar in volume to your cat. I currently use one of the little orange electric Metro pumps with a Bravo 6 to top off. I take the Bravo on the river, but I worry it will suffer a major failure in the field (they are kind of flimsy).

I am torn between a 4" Carlson barrel pump and a K Pump 400 or 40. The stashability of the K-Pump is attractive, but if I need to blow the boat up from scratch the Carlson seems like better ergonomics.

#23 ·
Reviving this post in hopes somebody can tell me if paying the large chunk of money to get the K40 is worth it, compared to just getting the K200? I have used a barrel pump w/ hose for years, but go through about 1 per year.

I transport the boat on a trailer and it only usually requires topoffs from launch and overnights...

Thanks in advance for replying.

#24 ·
kilroy, i wouldn't count out the k-100 from what you are talking about too. i got one a two seasons ago and love the thing. very,very compact and easy work with but it really doesn't take but a few minutes to top up a soft boat on a cold AM,ect. the narrow diameter makes it easy pumping. even more so for the last pumps for the very final top off strokes. quality at $75 so far.

it's not something you ever want to do a fully deflated raft with though unless it's just a freak emergency. it is big difference when you don't already have some volume in the raft. big difference.

and this from a guy who's other pump is the gigantic nrs 6" barrel pump.

anyway,just throwing it out there. good luck.

#25 ·
Use 12v interdynamics cheapie to get 90% there in no time at put in. Nrs barrel pump for last 10%. Big pump is staying in the truck on multidays now that i got a big earl it comes with a kpump 100. The 1 in 12 trips that i need to patch a raft i'll labor it out

#26 ·
Make sure of your valve position on the boat before you buy a K pump. I bought one a few years back and have a few boats like my Mini Mee amd a couple of old Avons with the valves on the inside of the tubes. The Mini Mee doesn't have enough room between the tubes to get a straight shot on the valve to top it off. If the old Avons are loaded you must move everything in it's way to get a straight shot on the valve. I really like the pump, but I really bought it for the Mini Mee which it doesn't work on. Check your valve placement before you buy one.

#27 ·
I carry a "cheap" wonder pump for topping off. Smallish (i store it in aldo old, mostly drybag that keeps the grit out). Long hose, double action, and at about $35 not a heart breaker if i lose/damage it. Has never failed in the field & many times has been the only working pump at the put in. My last one lasted 7 years til someone stepped on it & it cracked. #2 is coming on its 3rd season & i saved all the guts from the old one for spare parts.

I have blown up my ocelot with it by myself. Not too bad really, but i wouldn't want to do my el tigre with it. Electric for that & then top off.

From a cheap bastard point of view, its a great pump.

#28 ·
Great thoughts, and I like the price of the K100 &K200 better.

I need to pull the boat out and check valve position. I know for sure that they are on the inside, so the KPump would be completely horizontal. Not sure about the thwarts - which could be critical in pump selection.

It's a 1994 Achilles 14' bucket boat with military valves.

Thank you for the useful information.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.