Old 02-03-2010   #21
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Originally Posted by gbmaz View Post
lhowemt - have you ever used your K40 to blow up your little cat all the way?
If so was it pretty lame vs a floor pump? Or not that bad with that size boat?
Nope, always used the LVM inflator when inflating from flat.

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010   #22
Originally Posted by HPMG View Post
Thanks lhowemt, I was picturing a rechargable battery powered unit....wishful thinking.
with my LVM I just went to batteries plus or whatever you have and get a small 7 to 12 amp 12 volt battery and a little charger. kind of like a small motorcycle battery. then you don't have to mess with the car which is a pain and makes it portable. one charge will last a few inflate/deflate cycles if needed.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012   #23
Was here
Southern, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1983
Reviving this post in hopes somebody can tell me if paying the large chunk of money to get the K40 is worth it, compared to just getting the K200? I have used a barrel pump w/ hose for years, but go through about 1 per year.

I transport the boat on a trailer and it only usually requires topoffs from launch and overnights...

Thanks in advance for replying.
"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." ~ Will Rogers
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012   #24
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
kilroy, i wouldn't count out the k-100 from what you are talking about too. i got one a two seasons ago and love the thing. very,very compact and easy work with but it really doesn't take but a few minutes to top up a soft boat on a cold AM,ect. the narrow diameter makes it easy pumping. even more so for the last pumps for the very final top off strokes. quality at $75 so far.

it's not something you ever want to do a fully deflated raft with though unless it's just a freak emergency. it is big difference when you don't already have some volume in the raft. big difference.

and this from a guy who's other pump is the gigantic nrs 6" barrel pump.

anyway,just throwing it out there. good luck.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012   #25
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Use 12v interdynamics cheapie to get 90% there in no time at put in. Nrs barrel pump for last 10%. Big pump is staying in the truck on multidays now that i got a big earl it comes with a kpump 100. The 1 in 12 trips that i need to patch a raft i'll labor it out
Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012   #26
C. Springs, Colorado
Make sure of your valve position on the boat before you buy a K pump. I bought one a few years back and have a few boats like my Mini Mee amd a couple of old Avons with the valves on the inside of the tubes. The Mini Mee doesn't have enough room between the tubes to get a straight shot on the valve to top it off. If the old Avons are loaded you must move everything in it's way to get a straight shot on the valve. I really like the pump, but I really bought it for the Mini Mee which it doesn't work on. Check your valve placement before you buy one.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012   #27
Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
I carry a "cheap" wonder pump for topping off. Smallish (i store it in aldo old, mostly drybag that keeps the grit out). Long hose, double action, and at about $35 not a heart breaker if i lose/damage it. Has never failed in the field & many times has been the only working pump at the put in. My last one lasted 7 years til someone stepped on it & it cracked. #2 is coming on its 3rd season & i saved all the guts from the old one for spare parts.

I have blown up my ocelot with it by myself. Not too bad really, but i wouldn't want to do my el tigre with it. Electric for that & then top off.

From a cheap bastard point of view, its a great pump.
Never get out of the boat
MountainMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012   #28
Was here
Southern, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1983
Great thoughts, and I like the price of the K100 &K200 better.

I need to pull the boat out and check valve position. I know for sure that they are on the inside, so the KPump would be completely horizontal. Not sure about the thwarts - which could be critical in pump selection.

It's a 1994 Achilles 14' bucket boat with military valves.

Thank you for the useful information.
"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." ~ Will Rogers
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012   #29
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
they do come with an adapter that allows you to pump at a 45 degree angle or so, as well. not as easy as straight on but gets the job done. i have to use it on my floor valve for my older avon for the final pumps. may or may not help you out but just so you know.

upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote