Old 01-15-2010   #1
North Wales, United Kingdom
Paddling Since: 2009
Which paddle

I'm looking into getting a new paddle and have two in mind but not sure which one to get.They are both Werners the first one is the Stikine bent shaft and foam core blades the other is a Sherpa straight shaft with carbon blades. I've seen both and like them both but am not sure which one to get,i'm just as happy with a stright shaft as I am with a bent shaft just a bit concerned about the foam core blades on the Stikine incase they are quite easy to puncture I must say the Stikine does look like a work of art almost to nice to use.Price doesnt come into it getting the right one is more important just can't decide which one to get.Anyone got any thoughts that might help me decide

Michelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010   #2
Send a message via ICQ to northfwestg
best paddle is one with one blade biatches

northfwestg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010   #3
x, x
Paddling Since: x
don't mind charlie here, he just got out of jail.... half the paddle, twice the man.

I would say that these paddles are at two good choices. If you are used to a bent shaft and creek heavily you will enjoy the stikines lightning fast ability and resurfacing characteristics of the foam blades. I would say they are no more to puncture than an all fiberglass blade, ie the sherpa, both share the same blade design i believe and would only feather slightly different given one is a bent shaft and one is not. I use a straight shaft powerhouse and love it. I would like a bent shaft but they do feel so different It would take getting used to, for me at least. Anyhow, get the stikine if you would benifit a small weight savings, stronger surface construction/ not ply-ably and a bent shaft. If you dont need a weight savings and save some dough with a straight shaft fiberglass blade, tried and true, easy to repair, bla bla bla.....
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010   #4
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I have never used a foam core paddle... but i have heard good things, and never heard of them being easy to puncture. Foam is going to be lighter. That being said, i use a carbon paddle and really like it (dont want to spend the $ for foam, or a new paddle in general

But carbon or foam... nothing beats a single bladed paddle.
youngpaddler06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010   #5
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
The reputation is that the foam core blades are a little weaker than the regular carbon ones. However, unless you are especially hard on blades I wouldn't let that deter you.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote