Old 05-07-2007   #1
boulder, Colorado
Which Padddle? Me too?

1) I'm going bent shaft but I'm not sure which blade to go with. Can you help me out?

I'm considering Werner Sherpa versus Powerhouse for mainly river running sprinkled with attempts to play in a Mamba. Creeking is inevitable. I'm 6'1, 190 lbs (ladies?) with long arms.

2) I was thinking 200cm. Think not?

I'd be interested to learn about less expensive quality eqivalents too.

kind thanks!

caraphor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007   #2
Lakewood, Colorado
200 cm sounds pretty big. Make the trek to Denver and go visit Confluence Kayaks. They have all the Werner's and some great alternatives as well.

woodboat75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007   #3
Rotorua, NZ
Go powerhouse, it is a great paddle the blades are large, but I think for someone of your size a 200cm powerhouse is a good option, I had one for two years that treated me very well super durable and responsive I think for someone who paddles a larger boat like a mamba and wants to creek as well I think you will find the powerhouse an invaluable tool. The sherpa is also a good design but I don't think the blades are large enough to justify going with a 200cm paddle with small blades.
For the record I now have a shogun 200cm and it is the bomb

paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007   #4
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I would go Powerhouse. Maybe go a size down from 200, but you need to grab them and see which feels right. If you go to Confluence, your alternative will be AT. My experience is ATs leak. However, AT is awesome about warranties. Confluence even gave me the same paddle as a loaner while I waited the month for my warranty to go through, and then let me swap the replacement for a Werner. That pretty much sold me on their shop.

If you don't need it right away, there do seem to be some decent alternatives out there at a sim. price point to Werner.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007   #5
pnw, Washington
if you are closer to bv then try cks. great selection. I think my shoulders would explode if i used a 200. i like the werner shogun.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007   #6
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I picked up the Werner Sidekick in a 191 for my creeking paddle. I paddle a CFS and I'm 5'10" 200 lbs and would never go longer.

It's very personal, but I feel like 197 is HUGE and 194 is even long. It took a touch of getting used to, but it does make everything better to go shorter.

I picked up the Sidekick on the recommendation of Chris Joose. I was in your situation, too...couldn't decide on blade shape for creeking. He said the Sidekick, though designed for play, was the ultimate creek blade.

It allows me to get purchase without taking my blade all the way vertical, which makes it quicker to get from one paddle stroke into the other. Plus, it makes turns quicker.

Lotsa folks are using this exact paddle for their creeking, and I recommend it highly! I have a friend with the powerhouse, and yeah, it's smooth, but I can tell the difference and I definitely have to get my paddle more vertical to get the same power!

climbhoser is offline   Reply With Quote