Old 05-13-2013   #1
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
which of these 4 would you buy for <$200

I have several options to choose from. I'm itching real bad to buy something. The water is rising! Help me get the most bang for my buck. I'm trying to keep costs down as much as possible. Primarily interested in easier <IV+,5, river running. Maybe some messing around eventually but still while running, that is the main focus. 180lb, 6' paddler. Thanks!

Dagger Redline, boat only $130
Wave Sport Ace 4.7 w/ skirt $150
Dagger cfs w/ paddle, skirt $200-225
Pyranha H3 235 w/ paddle $170

mattoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013   #2
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Dude, if you don't know exactly what those boats are or what fits you, do you really need to be running Class V? They're all fairly drastically different.

Please take a look at my Photo Web Gallery.
I also have here some gear reviews (that I might update soon).
rivervibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013   #3
Lakewood, Colorado
I was going to have a snarky response, but realized I might have wrote that unclear. It should say <IV+. No reason for the 5 after. I was trying to say less than 4+ or 5, meaning that the highest would be a 4. Honestly that is also unlikely unless there's a normally small rapid that is extra large due to flow. Max is probably 3+, at least for a while. I did say easier though. I'm not dumb I wouldn't just hop into a river and take off into a churning white abyss.

And I know generally what each of those boats is for, I've read specs and reviews for all of them. I've also ready reviews for just about each one from people saying they used them for running rivers and loved them for that. So just for general river running I was asking what the best deal for the money would be. Was just interested in peoples responses and maybe reviews if they owned any of them. Maybe someone has had some good running experiences in one I don't know. None of them is really ideal for the purpose, and for the use I will be giving them it probably doesn't matter which one I'm sitting in either. I'm just curious, and can't make up my mind for the life of me. Always been bad at that when there were equal choices. So help me out dude!
Old 05-13-2013   #4
Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I feel the best all around boat would be the H3. I used to paddle one for years out east on everything from the big water to the steep creeks. It is a great all around boat. Just my opinion.
bigdrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013   #5
Lakewood, Colorado
Thanks, yeah I was just going to say after looking at pictures of the different views of the shapes the redline and H3 look like they would be most suited for what I am looking for. I'm thinking H3 might be the way to go then
Old 05-14-2013   #6
Arco, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1989
I paddled the little brother to the redline, the infrared, a bunch of years ago and it was kind of a no nonsense boat. It wasn't amazing at anything, but got a person down the river in a reasonable fashion. I felt like it was a short RPM with a flat bottom in the way that it paddled. I got rid of it because it was holding me back from becoming a world class play boater Ok, I was never destined to become that, but the boat was boring after a while. Just my thoughts.
Atomicrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013   #7
Lakewood, Colorado
So I think I have a plan. I'm going to buy the H3 AND the Ace. But immediately list the Ace for sale, asking $200 just for the boat, and keep the skirt. If it doesn't sell quick, I'll lower to $175, if still nothing, I'll go down to $150. I'm pretty sure someone would buy it for $150, even if I have to go down to $130 that's ok if I can keep the skirt. I checked online and it has a slightly smaller opening, and a size L is recommended (upper range of L), while an XL is recommended (lower range of XL) for the H3, so I THINK it will fit. I can always muscle it on I guess. If it doesn't fit I can always just try to resell the package for $200 and get a new skirt
Old 05-14-2013   #8
Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
H3 all the way but the ACE is a total pos! Good luck selling it. As far a spray skirt for H3... You best make sure you can sit in the boat in get it on. I have a friend that rips the H3 and I need to help him get the skirt on time to time. H3 has a big hole to cover.
Bound is boatless man
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013   #9
Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I would NOT recommend buy the Ace for any reason what so ever!!!
bigdrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013   #10
Lewiston, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
If the skirt fits the ace then it will be tight for the H3. Maybe even too tight. I would not recommend that anyone buy an ace 4.7 unless it was under $100 and in great shape. No let me take that make. Don't buy an ace.

rocketbox is offline   Reply With Quote