Old 09-21-2016   #21
Apache Junction, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2008
It is a little different that they have the 2 seperate areas on the website. The Outfitter does seem like it would be a better kayak but they run around $1600 dollars. I have a couple rafts that I use so I don't really want to go with the more expensive options. It looks decent to me I just haven't ever sat on or used a Ibeam floor before. I have heard in the past that they used to go soft.

Jdsampsonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016   #22
Riverdale, Utah
Paddling Since: 1977
I hear ya; and others have the Outfitter 2 for 10% off right now, and free shipping; but its still a lot. $1394.10, twice what I've paid for late model hardshell kayaks . The used market just doesn't seem to be there for these.
Aire Outfitter II Tandem Inflatable Kayak |

Aire has a Lynx 2 for 10% off here:

wasatchbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016   #23
Apache Junction, Arizona
I have been looking for a few months and haven't seen any. I was hoping a commercial company would be clearing out some of there old gear after the season but no luck.
Old 09-21-2016   #24
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I looked for a while for used, and couldn't find anything good. I bought a 2016 Tomcat at DRE, and it is a pretty slick setup for the money. I've only paddled it on lakes so far, but will run II to III- in it, and I think it will be great for that and float trips and such.
It takes a big man to cry...It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man.

-Jack Handy
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #25
Commerce/the Junc, Colorado
I picked up a pair of used Padillacs (outfitter boats with metal valves) for $775 this past spring. Watch CL and the classifieds here, lots of good deals to be had.
SigNewt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #26
Apache Junction, Arizona
I have been for a couple months now. On CL I saw a single tomcat and they were asking the same as a new one. Right now there is a tandem outlaw but they are asking $700 which is almost new price and those who have tried them don't seem that fond of them.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #27
Fort Collins
To help sweeten the deal if you can wait, REI carries Tomcats and Outlaws, which means that if you are a member, you can get one 20% off in the spring, if they don't offer a coupon sooner, and you can use your dividend.

As for the vinyl, I bought a used tomcat several years ago, and used it a good bit for a year or two before I found a killer deal on a lynx which is now my go to ducky. The tomcat is now my loaner ducky, but it is still going strong, so that would not deter me.

I also just picked up a solo outlaw for my 12 year old to grow into, and am impressed so far. I like the way it handles with the very limited time I have been in it. I think the issue about draining with them comes from having 2 adults in a tandem, with only a 4 inch floor, that doesn't offer much between your rear and the water. I think the solo can float a single adult better than the tandem can float two, and that the tandem would probably do better with a 6 inch floor. I have some heavier friends that are in the market, and for that reason, I am steering them towards the tomcat.

As a side note, the tandems are a bit barge like compared to a solo, but they do carry more people and stuff. Compared to a raft it will probably feel sporty, compared to a kayak or solo ducky, it will feel sluggish and have less maneuverability.
"If I'm not there, it means I'm dead...or late!" General W.R. Monger
co_bjread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #28
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Originally Posted by Jdsampsonite View Post
I have never been on an I beam floor before. Anyone ever floated on one and if so what did you think?
I have a couple nrs bandit singles with the I beam floor, and I am a big fan. I like the I beam floor because it allows the floor to curve with the shape of the boat, rather than being flat and stiff. I have used the bandits quite a bit in class 3/4, and some class v and I am very happy with the performance. They "updated" the design of the bandit when the urethane fabric became too expensive, and the result is the outlaw, a boat that is worse in every way.
Also, the maverIK is an awesome boat. It doesn't have any drainage issues, and is in my opinion one of the best designs out there for high performance and versatility. They are also tough.
My local college uses tomcats for the outdoor program, and they seem to hold up to the serious abuse they are put thru without many problem.
Floatin mucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #29
Apache Junction, Arizona
Glad to hear that on the Tomcat. Has anyone had 2 people in the Tandem Tomcat. Say 2 guys 200lbs each how did it do in that situation?

I think I looked at the Maverick as well but it's one of the pricier models and this is a secondary boat for me after my rafts. So I am trying to get one thats decent (not a Sea Eagle) and not the more expensive side (like the Outfitter) Maybe if I get more into the kayaking side I will upgrade to a higher end model.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #30
Riverdale, Utah
Paddling Since: 1977
I see that for some reason the Aire Tributary Strike 2 is the only one to list a Load Capacity: 450 lbs.
Strike II Inflatable Kayak | Tributary
The Tributary Tomcat Tandem is 4 inches longer, 1.5 inches wider, tubes 20% larger, its a substantially bigger boat. I am sure it would be fine with 500-550 lbs. We had about 400 lbs of 2 people + gear, the issue of load capacity never occurred to me. We were sitting completely out of the water by at least an inch in the flatwater sections.

wasatchbill is offline   Reply With Quote