Which Inflatable Kayak? - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-20-2016   #11

Apache Junction, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2008
The RMR has their boats 15% off so they are about the same price and they are welded. I might go with that.

Jdsampsonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2016   #12

modesto, California
Paddling Since: 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsampsonite View Post
The RMR has their boats 15% off so they are about the same price and they are welded. I might go with that.
IF you do make sure to post back on what you think of it....would like to know

Thanks
eyecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016   #13

NE, Oregon
Bladder system, most punctures only make it through the first layer. I have simply gorilla taped it and finished the trip.
Willie 1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016   #14

Meridian, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1989
Quick note on the 2016 - 2017 Tomcats

Hi!

I just wanted to post a quick note on the 2016-2017 Tomcats. We changed the Tomcat Fabric to a 1000 Denier 650g fabric for better tear strength. The new Tomcats also have welded seams instead of stitched. We also adjusted the shape of the Tomcat for better maneuverability. (It has more of a Lynx shape now) We improved the bow and stern so the dodgers don't get misaligned. We added more comfortable handles and little bow/stern d-rings for strapping the boat down to cars/trailers. They still have vinyl AIREcells and a 1 year warranty.

You can certainly load more than 450 lbs. in the Tomcat Tandem, just be aware that you will start losing performance.

Have fun boat shopping!

Cheers,
Sheena Coles
AIRE Marketing
Old 09-20-2016   #15

Apache Junction, Arizona
Thanks for the info I must have been looking at an older model when I looked at their website. Now I need to think about this a little more. I'm sure any of the boats will be fine but it's good to have all the info possible.
Old 09-21-2016   #16

Riverdale, Utah
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguire View Post
I urge you to find a Aire lynx 2.
Hi Mcguire, curious if you have paddled an Aire Outfitter 2? I am still deciding between these two. The Lynx 2 is my favorite that I have rented. I can't find an Outfitter 2 to rent.

BTW JDSamsonite, I would stay away from the NRS outlaw II. I just rented one two weekends ago. This boat drains very poorly. There plenty of drainage holes, but the floor covers them completely. This is a huge design flaw, and I am surprised NRS doesn't fix it. I wonder if the Maverik2 has the same problem (it seems to in the photos). (Maverik2 is way overpriced and I would not even consider it, compared to Aire Lynx2 or Outfitter 2. Theboatpeople.com say the same thing).

This was also the first time I used thwart seats. They are comfortable enough, but they take up a huge amount of room in the boat, compared to the Aire seats. The Outlaw 2 we rented measured exactly 12 feet long (2 inches shorter than their spec). With those huge thwarts in there, there was very little room behind my seat for gear, and I am only talking an afternoon trip on the Snake; pump and a couple drybags. Also the front paddler had to sit too far forward for optimal performance, driving the nose of the boat down a bit. This boat was also less stable than I would have expected from the width and tube size.

If you want to stay under a grand = Tributary Tomcat 2.
If you want the best 2 person IK you can find, need to compare to Aire Lynx 2 and Outfitter 2. I would not buy something I can't see and sit in first, or better, paddle first.
wasatchbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016   #17

Apache Junction, Arizona
I think I have eliminated the Outlaw as an option. I have heard from several places that it has a draining problem.

THe Tomcat the only thing that seems to make me a little nervous is that the Vinylo Bladders dont seem to be that reliable and if you get a hole in that on the river on a multi day trip that could be a problem.

The Saturn has the drop stitch floor which is what I have in the rafts so I think this is a possibility but they dont seem to be welded.

RMR Animas is welded and seems like a pretty good boat but I have never been on an I beam floor before. Anyone ever floated on one and if so what did you think?
Old 09-21-2016   #18

Riverdale, Utah
Animas Tandem Inflatable Kayak (IK)
My two cents on RMR: how long is this boat? How wide? How wide are the tubes? What does it weigh?
When a company can't put a decent set of specs on their website, its a big red flag for me. How good can their quality control be? Same thing with Terran (another smaller, made in China company).
Cheers,
Bill
Old 09-21-2016   #19

Apache Junction, Arizona
I checked their webiste and it does have statistics. They are 12' long 38" wide weighs 35lbs. 11" tube diamater. They also have a 5 year warranty which seems to be longer than the 1 year on the Tomcat and the 2 year on the saturn. It also says it has a 12" kick

So they do have some specs on it. They dont give a capacity though. I'm not sure where it is made but I would imagine as with most companies this day I am sure China could be involved in some way.

Anybody with experience with the Ibeam floors?
Old 09-21-2016   #20

Riverdale, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsampsonite View Post
I checked their webiste and it does have statistics. They are 12' long 38" wide weighs 35lbs. 11" tube diamater. They also have a 5 year warranty which seems to be longer than the 1 year on the Tomcat and the 2 year on the saturn. It also says it has a 12" kick

So they do have some specs on it. They dont give a capacity though. I'm not sure where it is made but I would imagine as with most companies this day I am sure China could be involved in some way.
Oh nice, I stand corrected. I see now that you have to get out of the "shop" website to get specs. I am used to having all the specs there where you shop (like Amazon, backcountry.com, rei.com etc).
Aire (not Tributary) are made in the USA, with a 10 year warranty.
I believe the expensive NRS are also made in USA, with 10 year warranty.
5 years is a good warranty; it would be nice if the Tributary would go longer than a year.
So those specs are pretty decent; 5 to 9" shorter than the Aires; so easier to turn, but less capacity; width and tube size between Strike 2 (crossover design for lakes and whitewater), and Tomcat/Lynx. Outfitter is quite a bit bigger on all counts (width, tube size, kick).
The Animas sounds like a decent class 3/3+ boat, I would like to try one but i have never seen one around here (UT/ID/WY).