Old 06-29-2009   #21
Rainy Northwest, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980
Yuck Factor

Originally Posted by caprishmael View Post
I've got both. The Wag Bag is incredibly expensive (per use) and has a much higher yuck factor. My EcoSafe is 14 years old this year, going strong, well thought out, secure, easy to clean system. Especially like the secure feature. No e coli contamination on my trips!
I disagree about the yuck factor. I have a PETT toilet. Wag Bags change out every camp. I think it's less yucky to use than opening up a rocket box or riverbank toilet with 4 or 5 days worth of crap in it. I store the used bags in a gamma bucket.

swiftwater15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009   #22
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I've used all of the above mentioned systems and then some .... Ecosafe, River bank, Johnny Partner, and the bucket/gamma lid. The Johnny Partner & River Bank are deluxe, but expensive & heavy/large to transport. Both of these systems were used by commercial outfitters who had the room & bucks to invest. We use the bucket/gamma lid system and prefer it over the Ecosafe. It's cheaper to make, it's lighter to carry, it's stable to sit on, and it's not that hard to empty. We always use a deodorizer powder in ours which really helps with the odor & visual problem. Of course a scat machine makes the emptying process easy, but the RV dump isn't that difficult. My main gripe with the Ecosafe is that it's heavy.... weight of the system it's self, plus the weight of the poo, plus the weight of the rocket box. I've also never liked the way the dang seat wants to tip over off the rocket box when you open the lid, and the (how can I put this delicately) messy factor, poo does not slide gracefully down the hole and into the tank. Sure wish other states would follow Idaho's lead, and put in more Scat machines.
Just my personal POO review.
Happy grooving.

cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009   #23
Salida, Colorado
I'm still using a rocket box and and a hose. $25 at the Surplus store and no stinking dump system fouling my garage. Being a nurse I use rubber gloves and a surgi-mask
with a shield to dump at the RV station. A standard toilet seat fits perfect. I have my asbestos suit on for your replies!
No amount of money is worth your free time!
whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009   #24
Little Village, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I've also never liked the way the dang seat wants to tip over off the rocket box when you open the lid, and the (how can I put this delicately) messy factor, poo does not slide gracefully down the hole and into the tank.
Valid point. Gotta be careful and have good aim.
Uh, I'm just gonna go find a cash machine.
Riparian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009   #25
aka The Curmudgeon
Hopelessly Stuck in Yesterday, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I'm going to put in my 50 cents worth (again) and then shut my yap trap.

Swifwater- I still think yuck factor is lower w/ EcoSafe due to the smaller (3 inch?) opening over the hazardous waste. Even though you will have a greater quantity of said waste over the course of a longer trip.

CataraftGirl- Yeah man, EcoSafe gets heavy, especially after Steak 'n' Beans night on my trips. But, rocket boxes work well for carrying by two people, being equipped with stout handles on each end. The size/shape is also conducive to packing in small spaces, at least smaller than what you'd need for a bucket.

Whip- The cleaning kit is not stinky. If it is, then it hasn't been cleaned properly. The solution is easy- find a cardinal sinner on your next trip, give out groover cleaning duty as penance. The cardinal sins you might look for? Leaving a cooler open in the desert heat, shooting a white buffalo, or pissing in the wind. BTW, a 2 gal. frosting pail from the bakery works well for storing the cleaning kit, and it has lid to boot!

OK, now I'm silent on the matter.
captishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009   #26
Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
Another vote for the eco-safe. I'm liking much as a man can like a box of doo doo butter.

Just bring gloves and the mask for the girlfriend if she's gonna help clean out. Fuck,i opened mine up from our trip last week and it was like a thousand farts punching you in the face.

BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote