Old 02-27-2012   #11
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I never paddled the necky blunt; looks like fun. I would also love to see a picture of that bazooka! Till then, I'm torn between the 1. Burn 2. Stomper 3. Hero. Although the Nomad has been a classic... plus dagger has a special place in my heart (thanks to the RPM).

Has anyone paddled something made by Big Dog??

boonekayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012   #12
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
I had a Necky Blunt. Great boat but small, really small (length and volume). There are some pics of the Bazooka on FB and online. The new website should be up launching in a week with pics of all the new Fluid boats. The Nomad's a classic but leaks like a sieve.

To air is human, to get big air divine.
Dwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012   #13
Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
I have always enjoyed my Jefe Grande, but I would like to demo a stomper 90
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012   #14
Durango South, 4CRS
Paddling Since: 07
The burn is my boat of choice, but it is more of an all around boat as opposed to being a pure creeker. The Shiva is supposed to be better for creeking, so I'm looking forward to trying it out to see how they compare.

The stomper is my 2nd choice, which feels more like a blend of a burn and a jefe to me (it's actually a blend of the remix and the jefe). My only complaint with the stomper is it felt slower than the burn, but otherwise I loved how it handled. Maybe I should just hit the gym and the speed won't be such an issue.
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. - Helen Keller
yakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012   #15
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I paddled a nomad 8.1 for a while, but I like my Habitat 74 much better. The truth is that it's what you get used to. There are plenty of proven designs out there. Demo a few and see what fits you...
mhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012   #16
Arvada, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
hey boonekayak if you go to or you can check out the bazooka in the 2012 paddle sports buyers guide. that new bliss stick tuna looks sweet too. adding to what dwave said, i have a buddy who says the same thing about his nomad- something about the rim- but his is older, mine is new -a 2011, and they musta fixed it cause i havent had any issues.
Skillkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012   #17
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
The first one on the list that I demoed was the Burn. The pointed bow really helps punch through the water. The sharp rail lets you carve into the eddies on a dime. The outfitting was alright, but it's not the easiest to adjust on the fly. Still, my top choice for now.

Next, I jumped into the Hero and could immediately feel the difference in the hull design. The Hero took some time to dial in, but after paddling it for a while I grew to appreciate the way it handled. The outfitting makes it quick and easy to adjust on the go, but for me, almost too easily. The rope lock is fairly flimsy...I don't trust it.

Looking at the video on the Stomper has me pretty stoked. The back-band design was a surprise...genius! I'm also curious to check out this semi-plaining hull. I bet that Bad Ass outfitting feels pretty good.

The villain is a bit too big and long (i know...)
The solo Expedition was pretty cool, but not the most comfortable
The jefe was ok, but we didn't quite click...the boat chooses you kind of thing...

One day closer...
boonekayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012   #18
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Regular size pure. My first and only creeker to date, but it's seen me through a lot, including Gore.

The only downside is that it's really heavy. The people that hate this boat tend to hate it for that. I didn't realize it at first but after holding other boats, I can tell.
Kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012   #19
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
The semi planning hull and the continuous rocker is what has me sold on the stomper. Super smooth ride that's great for big water multi days, steep creeks, waterfalls, and they surf well for creek boats everybody I hav heard that's paddled them cant stop talking about them. Def sweet kayaks to say the least. Plus legit warranty and easy to weld if need be. I like how the cockpit is moved forward which helps drive the stomper like its a sports car. Peel outs and Catching eddies is a breeze. Some people say its the boater not the boat well this is one of those boats were it is the boat..
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012   #20
boulder, Colorado
What ever you do, just make sure you don't puss out and use the boat as an excuse. I have an ex who swims like clockwork and is always blaming it on the boat. Ha!

However, I just recently switched from the Jefe to a Burn because the Burn was all that was for sale used after I lost my Jefe. NIGHT and DAY difference! The Burn doesnt have the volume, so I don't surface as quick and I go deep in soft piles, but that thing is SNAPPY!

I think a lot is going to depend on the style of river you want to boat, but for tight steep boulder gardens, the Burn is the answer. I wish I had seen the light sooner.

squeakyboater is offline   Reply With Quote