Old 08-25-2011   #1
thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
which boat for me? ammo, burn!?!?!

So, I am in a toss up for my first ww boat. I am new to the scene and getting ready for next season. As the ammo and burn are being discontinued, I can get a decent deal on on a brand new boat!!! So, I figure I am gonna be doin a little rivet running and possibly some creeking as well. I am 6'2 185-190lbs. Anyone have suggestions? I'm used to my 10.5 foot rec/fishing kayak, so my initial thought was to go with the burn being that it is a little larger. But I want some good versatility as well. Also, looking to make friends in the whitewater community. Getting into this by my lonesome, haha. I am 28, into snowboarding, fishing, four wheeling, needing to meet friends. Thanks guys.

wytewaterwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011   #2
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Personally I would go for the Burn, it is a better river runner/creeker. Then you only have to buy a playboat once you decide that looks fun too

The Ammo is a great crossover boat where being a little smaller it will be easier to surf and play in but by no means a playboat, have a couple friends that love them but they also have other boats in their quiver.

MtnBuzz is a great place to meet folks, kinda on the shoulder edge of the season. Get a boat now and run as much as you can before winter, then spend winter in the pool dialing in your skills. Clubs like Colorado Whitewater and Pikes Peak (Colo Springs) are a great way to meet people and find trips to go on. Pray for another year of snow like the last, welcome to the sport...

kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011   #3
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
The Burn is not being discontinued. It's way too popular for that. The only caution that I'd throw you on the Burn is that it is a high performance boat that demands your constant attention. I liken it to riding a pair of Volkls. You need to stay aggressive and out of the back seat. The Large should be your size.

If you aren't set on a Pyranha, the Jackson Hero / Super Hero, Dagger Mamba 8.6, and LiquidLogic Remix 69 are all good river runners too.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011   #4
Frederick, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
I was contemplating the Burn-Ammo choice myself a month ago when my Large Burn received a fatal, unfixable crack. I wanted the Ammo to gain snappier maneuvering and some simple surf options while playing my way down river. And the Burn so I could still have the stability that would help me progress on Creeking and Big river flow days. Also has more room for gear if I did an overnight trip.

After talking to many folks who either have/had/paddled them both, I went with the Med Burn, also 6'1 and 190-200 depending on beer consumption. The Large/Med choice came down to leg room and comfort. As I fit the weight range for both, top end on the Med and mid/low on the Large. But the size differences change the down river experience in a noticeable way.
This choice provided me the maneuvering improvement I was looking for without sacrifice. And it can surf on river features with the 2011 tweaks to the hull and overall design, if I want.

The first run in my Med Burn was on the Poudre River at 3 on the rock from Lower Mish, through Poudre Park and Pineview Falls to the Bridges takeout. This Burn is SWEEEEEET
bhanvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011   #5
Columbus, Indiana
Check out the Dagger Mamba as well. The 2012 version will be revamped, so you may be able to get a deal on a 2011 one.

Just got my wife a brand new Mamba for $800

And the outfitting on the Daggers felt nicer to both of us than the Pyranhas. If I were you, I'd go sit in both.
seedubs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011   #6
thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Thanks for the input guys. I believe I will go with the ammo, it looks like a really fun and agile boat. Not exactly the color pattern that would be my top choice, but its what they have on sale and in the shop. Before this I was debating on waiting saving up for a stomper in green hornet. Would it be worth waiting on that boat or the ammo at a good price? Hmmm. Also, thanks again for the warm welcome
wytewaterwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011   #7
Beaverton, Oregon
What do you plan to run? If you are just getting into kayaking, then the big boats are likely to be overkill and the Ammo might be about right for Class II-III.
Old 08-25-2011   #8
Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
That's like asking if you should buy your 16 year old kid a new Cadillac Escalade (Burn) or a new Scion xB (Ammo). The correct answer is neither. You should buy him a USED Camry or something (H3, Mamba, Fun, EZ, etc.).

If you're going to get a new one, get the Burn. I have a Burn M. It's stable, easy to turn, and rolls easily. I'm not sure there's a place for the Ammo in anyone's quiver. It's definitely not a quiver-of-one. My apologies to any offended Scion owners.
Duckins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011   #9
Beaverton, Oregon
The Ammo has its place on lower volume creeks, and anytime you feel something is getting too easy. I agree that it is far from a quiver of one. I don't think I know of one of those anyway.
Old 08-25-2011   #10
N/A, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2010
I agree. If you want to save some money on a boat grab something that's second rate until you figure it out. You're going to swim, every beginner does, and you don't want all that damage on your brand new boat. You can have my H3 if you want. It's missing a hip pad and leaks but would still be a great beginner boat.

This mustache has a weight limit!
NathanH. is offline   Reply With Quote