Old 08-25-2011   #11
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I paddle a small Ammo everywhere....(got rid of my Jefe and Vision)....but I paddle predominately high water III-III+ and low water IV. The boat performs most excellent, it surfs and cartwheels well, boofs great and is snappy and responsive....however, it does tend to try and surf big holes unintentionally on high water IV.

I would call it a boat that is good at everything, but not great at much. Personally it performs well for what I want it to do, and it is a great beginner boat, but for those who need a dedicated creeker and a dedicated playboat, the Ammo is not the way to go.

(for the record I got rid of the other boats because I needed the $, not necessarily because I didn't want them......but the Ammo does perform better for my size than the other 2)

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011   #12
Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I think Nathan meant to say second-hand, not second-rate. The H3 is a great boat. I'd take a leaky H3 over a new Ammo any day of the week.

Duckins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011   #13
thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Thanks for the input. I really like owning new, even if I end up learning what my style is gonna be. I kinda get a general feel of what I am interested in, not much interest in play boating, like the idea of playfullness, and agility. So, u will give a good look at the mamba, ammo and diesel. Sit in each and see how it feels. Buy it new and make it "my boat". I could've bought a used snowboard or used trick bike when I started those sports but glad I didn't. Like to bust the cherry on my own equip . So the verdict is, the burn is too much for me and the ammo just isn't a good boat to even consider?
wytewaterwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011   #14
thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Ok, how bout I put it this way, what would you consider to be the jeep wrangler of the whitewater world? I don't want a Corvette and I don't want an h2. Just an all around great boat. I just plan on having fun. I'm down to swim and I'm down to hit some rough stuff!!!
wytewaterwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011   #15
Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
You should check out the Jackson Fun series. A Fun will be a lot easier than an Ammo to play in, and it should serve you well up to class IV river running. IMO, it really is a two boat sport (creeker and playboat). If you must have one new boat, look at a Fun.
Duckins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011   #16
N/A, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2010
Did mean to say second hand, It is my boat and I have thoroughly enjoyed it. Good luck with the boat hunt.
This mustache has a weight limit!
NathanH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011   #17
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
FYI - Golden River Sports is having their Sale/Swap this wknd and they have REALLY good prices on both the Ammo and the Burn (demos and new). You will never get prices this low again as they are clearing out their 2010/2011 inventory to get ready for 2012. As low as $650 for barely used Pyranha demos: Golden River Sale & Swap 8/26-8/28. Demo Boats Must Go - List Included! | GoldenRiverSports
PattyNYCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011   #18
Boise, Idaho
I am another who doesn't understand the appeal of the crossover type boats, all else considered. To me it just seems a waste of money, unless you have money to burn, in which case, it would be pretty cool.

Maybe I'm derivative, but I just think ultimately most boaters, for good reason, settle on the 2 boat quiver - your river runner/creeker (Remix, Jefe, Villain, Hero, Burn, Everest, Mamba, Diesel, etc.) and your playboat (Star, Molan, Project, etc.).

For the beginner, if you were to buy a new boat, you can start with the river runner and once your roll and basic river skills are developed, go for a playboat and learn how to work a hole. It won't take long before you're able to run class III/IV in a straight up playboat. And you'll start running bigger rivers than a crossover will be a good choice for. Skip the middle man.

Ideally, as a beginner you should pick up a good cheap boat that has a somewhat modern design, learn in that, and then move on to more expensive new or used boats.
Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011   #19
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I've heard very little positive feedback on the Ammo from beginners and experts alike. The Burn, however, has a passionate following. And only an old stodgy person would dog on the Scion.

Originally Posted by wytewaterwilly View Post
I am 28, into snowboarding, fishing, four wheeling, needing to meet friends. Thanks guys.
You have my attention. Please post chest, waist, and inseam measurements.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011   #20
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
NathanH: I may be interested in your H3 if your offer is still up. I just finished some classes on the colorado and I'm hooked, but can't afford a new boat that I'll prob just tear up as a newbie anyways. My only experience has been in a Mamba so far...

Originally Posted by NathanH. View Post
I agree. If you want to save some money on a boat grab something that's second rate until you figure it out. You're going to swim, every beginner does, and you don't want all that damage on your brand new boat. You can have my H3 if you want. It's missing a hip pad and leaks but would still be a great beginner boat.

WetExit is offline   Reply With Quote