Mountain Buzz banner

Which boat for a new kayaker?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  gh 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am 5'7 and 130# female. Just starting to kayak and looking for a used boat. I am a quick and aggresive learner, and would like a boat I will not grow out of in one season. I want a boat that is good for river running and playing.

Thanks for your help,
Mel

#2 ·
something like the siren or EZ would be perfect. I'd suggest sticking to the wavesport boats strictly because of the comfort factor. The biggest complaint I hear from beginner/intermediate paddlers is cramping and pain. both of the boats will let you progress and play without pain..

#3 ·
i wasnt that comfy in any of the ez boats but they are good boats. I like the gride and kingpin series. I saw a prototype of an ezg the other day. That looks like a cool boat for your size. Go to mtn miser's demo's or someone elses. Get in every boat that's your size. Play, ferry etc. If you are not comfy in it for an hour imagine what two or three hours will feel like. Enjoy.

#5 ·
Method or Booster would also work

Good suggestions so far. I agree that you should demo as many boats as possible. You should also consider whether or not you will have local access to a dealer and/or manufacturer's rep. For your size and weight I would strongly suggest looking at a Perception Method, or a Riot Booster. I personally find the Method much more comfortable, but that is subjective. Both boats would be fairly forgiving for a newbie, and you wouldn't outgow either in the first season. You may have trouble finding either on the used market because the owners are probably out paddling them, but trust me, this is a good sign. Beware super-great deals or boats that seem to be for sale on every corner, there is a reason for it. Happy paddling!

#6 ·
I will second the Jackson recommendation. I just didnt mention them cause I have not been in one but I am very interested and plan to when I am able to paddle again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.