Old 06-23-2009   #1
albuquerque, New Mexico
which boat?

I'm looking for suggestions. I have been boating in rubber and canoes for some time, but started kayaking this season, and i need a boat.
I am 6' 1" 185lbs, size 11 feets.

I am looking for something that will be fun, not difficult to roll and of good quality construction. I am interested in a river runner, or maybe a running play boat, maybe something I can fit enough gear into to do short, light, self support?

I really need something used, and I need it now.
I am in NM, can travel to pick up.

woodenshoespress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009   #2
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
The Pyranha Ammo is the best river running, eddy hoping, big wave and hole surfing machine. You should fit in the Medium size well and it's a great all around beginner boat. After a few seasons you might decide to get something more specific depending on what type of paddling you do most. It's hard to go wrong with the Ammo in my opinion!

T-ROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009   #3
Telluride, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1492
Send a message via AIM to acetomato
Take a look at the Jackson Fun Series (I think you'd be in a Super but maybe a 4Fun) & the Liquid Logic CR's (probably the 250 for you). They are both great free-runners (play runners, etc.). It seems like most people I've talked to that have paddled both say the Funs are a little better for playboating than the CR's (which makes sense considering the two companies).
If you want more volume but less playability, look at the Heroes & Remixes from Jackson & Liquid. I've been in both of these and the Remix is a great boat but, personally, I prefer the Hero. It's seems to be able to play more but still has a lot of volume. (It's shorter too, which makes it easier to deal with off the water.) And I really like the uni-shock bulkhead (have it in my MegaRocker too). Not only does it give you protection if you advance to the point where you're doing drops in the boat, but it also allows you to adjust the bulkhead, easily, on the river. So you can keep it fairly tight while paddling hard stuff and then it move forward quickly and be able to relax your legs and flex your knees some. This is great for longer trips.

I've done a single night self support out of my SuperFun but it's not the easiest thing in the world. It takes super light weight/compact camp gear. But it can be done. I'm sure others here have done longer trips with that boat (or even smaller). The Heroes/Remixes definitely give more room for gear storage. You sacrifice playability but both are more forgiving to learn in than the free-runners.

You should decide whether you're the type of person that likes things to be easier while learning (river runners) or harder to start but possibly bigger payoffs for that work (free-runners).

But the best advice is to try and demo some boats to see what you like (from shops, friends, etc.) Try some different brands and styles if you can.
I was going to be vague but then I decided to do this other thing.
acetomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009   #4
S. Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: then

Originally Posted by T-ROY View Post
The Pyranha Ammo is the best river running, eddy hoping, big wave and hole surfing machine.
Hey T-Roy..........I'm new to the kayaking world. However been reading and reviewing the heck out of boats, and have my mind leaning towards this as a great all around boat and something that would do it all and do it all with some palyfulness but yet high volume for bigger water! (and just like skiing and dirt biking peoples review opinions are like kindling wood!) I've seen very little talk about the Ammo, and it seems like you give it props! I intend to run rivers but wanna be able to play around, catch waves and carve around some. However, would love to run say the middle fork again at above 6ft. level.........I plan to play with it in Colorados creeks and others have told me to stay away from this boat. What do you mainly run with the ammo?
"The great end of Life is not knowledge, but action!"
T.H Huxley
stack11 is offline   Reply With Quote