Old 01-16-2009   #1
Palmerston North, New Zealand
Which Boat?

The name is Hailz, and I'm from NZ. Im currently just starting out in the whitewater discipline although I have been playing Canoe Polo and paddling for roughly five or six years.
I just want some help into which boat. I'm 5'ft 8" roughly, and my legs are kind of longer than my torso. So I only just fit into my friend's riot astro 54' with taking out the foot pad, and i can fit into the bliss-stick RAD 180 with the same kind of thing. I love play boating and looking for my own boat. I dont really know the difference between the Riot, Bliss Stick, and Liquid logic, or rather I have no idea about liquid logic and which boats would help me to better myself have fun on the rivers and all sorts. I've done grad 2 + rivers and im getting to the point to grade 3.

Any help into which boat i should be looking for and where i could find one that is relatively cheaper will help me.

Hailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009   #2
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
i have the same problem my legs are to long to fit in he little boats and cramps start shortly after im in the boat. i would go with a project super roomy and a great design. well balanced. i was going to suggest the agent but for a beginner the agent is super edgy.

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009   #3
Yeah juggling whitewater, canoe polo and plenty of study for my exams was a challenge. Now that I have brought everything for canoe polo and i really liked being smashed by the waves, i had thought about getting a bliss-stick (mainly becoz the factory is here in nz) but i also like the Riot 54 and it is a hell of a lot easier to do tricks on.

The other problem is the paddles. I have been borrowing a bent shaft paddle and i really enjoyed using one, it was a riot but i have more used werners. Are there any other paddles that I should trial before I buy myself one?
Old 01-22-2009   #4
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2003

I use an AT2 bentshaft and love it. I've heard people complain that they aren't as strong as Werner but I haven't had a problem. The indexing and "pistil" grip just feels great, super solid. I lent it to a Werner friend who lost his paddle and in one trip he was hooked. If it's an option, I would try one out. Otherwise, people do love their Werners and they have a great reputation here in the NW (U.S.). I haven't used a wooden paddle.

Good Luck,
greendancerpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009   #5
I tried a werner sherpa, it was my mates one, and i tried a riot crank shaft and love the crank shaft. They are just awsum. Im not sure if anyone that I know has one of those paddles but I will surely see if they do when i got out on the river this weekend. Went out in the surf, was totally smashed by the waves i was in a method air, but i do want my own play boat that is edgy so i can do cartweels and the helix.

Any ideas?