Mountain Buzz banner

When to replace a PFD?

6K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  B4otter 
#1 ·
Is there a recommended time to replace a PFD, after taking a gnarly swim over the weekend I'm
not feeling like the PFD I had is as good as it use to be..

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

#4 ·
I just replaced mine. It was probably 4 years old, sun-faded, and the label was becoming difficult to read. I put off buying a new one because I liked the Extrasport Hi-float model I had but it had been discontinued. I'm going on the Grand next year and made that the timeline to find something I liked. However, the Ranger at Westwater told me last month that he would pass my PFD but it would be the last time because it was becoming "heavy". I attributed that to it being wet when I handed it over but he said it means the fill is breaking down. The next morning I was rinsing it in the river and realized sand had worked its way inside the fabric. Essentially, I was wearing a sandbag as a PFD! I retired it that morning and wore my spare to run the rapids.

I picked up a NRS Big Water PFD and am very happy with it.

#5 ·
My rule of thumb is once I can't clean off that grody combination of sunscreen and filth that rubs off around the collar. I think I'm just going to get a black PFD next time...

Seriously, inspect for tears, loss of bulk, illegible writing in the label, and significant fading. Any of these should reconcile the PFD to being retired.

-AH

#9 ·
My PFD just got denied being used at the put in for westwater. It was because you could not read the type v on the label, everything else is legible. I still fully trust this jacket and will continue to use it, however it will not being joining me on trips with a check in.

#14 ·
Ranger check outs on rivers such as Westwater and the Grand Canyon are another story with the unpredictable variable of the hot shot ranger.

Best practice in this situation, have two new (tags still on) type III and type V PFDs as well as two new float cushions. You could add more if you want to be more conservative.

Show these new devices at checkout to help avoid conflict during the gear check process. Then revert back to your good judgment and functional gear after you have made your way onto the river.

#16 ·
I've always wondered about this as well. I've heard people say just test it by swimming in the water, but that seems rather unscientific.

I'm conservative when it comes to safety gear so tend to replace if I'm not sure. I replaced a PFD a few years ago and noticed that the new (exact same kind) was noticeably fatter, i.e. less compressed, than my old one, so seemed like a good call.

Then I just recently replaced another one (exact same kind) because it was a few years old and showed significant fading, but when I put them side by side, the foam actually looked pretty similar so maybe it was premature.

I always figure I should use my old one for playboating and such and newer one for more important applications to spread the wear, but rarely succeed in actually doing that.

#21 ·
I replace mine when I start to wonder if it will pass inspection, seems a good rule of thumb. Taking it for a swim( somewhere you won't drown if it is to worn out) is a good thing to do in addition inspecting it.

#22 ·
If you have access to a swimming pool and some weights, it's pretty easy to check buoyancy. I've done it on brand new jackets and found variation of a couple of pounds within same model...! For the rest, check out seams/sewing, especially in stress areas (under arms, across shoulders), and buckles/zippers (brush zips clean and then silicon 'em before storing for winter helps a lot come Spring). Nothing you can do about fading and illegible printing - that's the end, period.
As for ranger checkout, it's the one procedure I've never objected to, anywhere. Do you not want to know if the device that's meant to add flotation in the event your life depends on it has a problem? I do, and don't care who discovers it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.