Old 06-18-2009   #1
Nashville, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 2000
What's the right kayak for me?

Hey folks. So I'm sure you get tired of newbies asking the same old tired questions, but here goes.

I have a moderate amount of experience in canoes, though I'm less experienced in a kayak. I hit mainly small rivers (class III max). I'd like to purchase a new kayak that is suited for small river kind of kayaking. I do mostly 2 or 3 day camping trips, so I need a kayak that has enough storage space to pack at least half the supplies needed for a couple nights of camping. Then, or course, I need something than can handle class I-III rapids. I'm a pretty small guy (about 5'3'' and 135#), so this may be an issue.

What are your suggestions? I've been doing a little shopping around; and like I said, I'm not a total newbie--I've been in a couple kayaks but have no idea what to buy. So far I think the Dagger Approach 9.0 looks like it might fit my needs. Am I going anywhere in the right direction? I appreciate any input or comments you have. Thanks for the help!

Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009   #2
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
The Liquidlogic Remix XP 10 or 9 is your best bet. The Dagger approach is a good boat as well. The Approach is less expensive, but the Remix XP 10 is sturdier and has more room for storage. It has gone down the Grand quite a few times and has held up extremely well. Plenty of storage room and a drop-down skeg for flatwater or moving more effectively through whitewater. Both boats will suit your purpose, but the Approach is more for flatwater and the Remix is more for big water and whitewater.
Rhynocerous is offline   Reply With Quote