What ways to keep supplies secure (in kayak)? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-12-2016   #1

Greenville, South Carolina
Paddling Since: 2014
What ways to keep supplies secure (in kayak)?

I've been kayaking for a bit now and I've really only done day trips on whitewater sections. While these are fun and I don't see myself getting away from these, I'd really like to try multi day trips to get into some more secluded areas. I'm going to buy some dry bags, but how have you guys/girls found is the best way to keep all that stuff from moving around in the kayak? For reference I have a Pyranha Stretch M/L. So not exactly built for these kind of trips, but it has some space in the back that I think could suffice.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

Lazerbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2016   #2

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Just clip the drybags to the backband. I run a piece of cord around the back pillar from front to back to clip bags to also.

Old 08-13-2016   #3

Greenville, South Carolina
Paddling Since: 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsssmith View Post
Just clip the drybags to the backband. I run a piece of cord around the back pillar from front to back to clip bags to also.

Yeah I figured as much but I wanted to make sure, thanks!

Lazerbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2016   #4
Abron Cabron

Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
Here is a good place to start researching the nitty gritty to start getting equipped for bigger trips with required gear... it is pretty much the jammy. these guys did a great job explaining how to get after it...
Self Support Kayak Camping

I personally dont have a camping boat yet (xp, traverse,katana etc..) but did fit 4 days worth in a Superhero easily (any good size creek boat pretty much will work...) ... be careful planning on overloading small boats...obviously the performance changes drastically..

So consensus is that the best stern specific drybags are watershed futa stowfloats, but also the most $$$$. they are very durable tho.
NRS stowfloats are more budget friendly.... and less bomber, and different way of sealing that seems more prone to catastrophic leakage. (roll-up vs zip)
2 of them in the stern and 2 xsmall dybags up front in front of your feet, 1 small watershed bag strapped inbetween the legs, and a 1L of bourbon instead of 17 cases of beer... and then think packing ultralite like a backpacking trip.. thats the basic basic setup, if you dont have to worry about a groove tube.

obviously a lot more to it, but some preliminary idears to help get you pysched...
self support kayaking opens up the frontiers for long trips..
i am definitely looking forward to getting out more in the future..
cheers
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016   #5
Pieter Porcupine

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Find some rafter friends to carry your gear. Try not to drink all there beer and hit on their girlfriends though. Stereotypes exist for a reason!