Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Old 11-10-2013   #21
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
another good run down, albeit with some minor translation necessary from english to murican... ;]
Winter Paddling Essentials | Unsponsored

The take away point is that tea and cake at the pub is a good warm up after a cold day on the river...

abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013   #22
Lakewood, Colorado
Eh, drysuits are the last thing most people buy, after they're sure they love the sport, have no other pressing gear need, and get snooty enough to "need" it. j/k, there are definitely places where it's almost mandatory, but you won't be there for a while. Save your money.

If your top feels too small, it probably is, especially once you put on some base layers. I would say if it restricts your motion at all, it's too small. Plus, used drytops usually aren't very dry. The NRS Flux for $153 posted above is a good deal; you'll pay $40 for a new neck gasket. It's not the best top but it's 1/3 the price of the best top and has the NRS guarantee. Then, get some neo pants and splash pants, warm base layers including socks (thrift shop is good), some kind of footwear, mittens, a good helmet and skull cap and you'll be set.

mjpowhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013   #23
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
My drytop is too small and I'm going to have to sell it, so I think I'm just going to buy a slightly used Kokatat drysuit (I'm finding them for $600 or so) and if it turns out I don't stick with the sport I'll sell it and hopefully get the majority of my money back out of it. I think spending the extra money will give me the piece of mind to know that I won't have to worry about being wet or cold. That way I can focus my time more on learning the sport. My only issue before with buying the drysuit was getting too hot and, since that doesn't seem to be a problem, I'll go ahead and give it a shot.
RyanHostetler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013   #24
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
you can send items back to kokatat for pressure testing and warranty work. i have heard really good things about their warranty dept. you would have to call them but the leak testing i think is fairly cheap.

buying used is a great idea til you develop preferences. kokatat is the top of the line, you wont be disappointed. and their stuff lasts for years. Just make sure to get the GMER kayak drysuit or meridian, with the double tunnel for your skirt and a pee zipper. those are both essential kayak specific features. (well the double tunnel is at least.)
happy paddling. also keep paddle fest in mind for end of may down in Buena Vista. there are many, many reasons to check it out.... (i go every year whether i am buying new gear or not. the Ark is such a great river, and BV/Salider are great communities....)
CKS PaddleFest | May 23-26 2014 - Kicking off the paddling season!
Old 11-13-2013   #25
bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
I would think twice before buying a dry suit or top used, but if you do make sure it has a double tunnel for your sprayskirt or you will leak into your boat.
brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013   #26
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
just saw this little nugget of knowledge on crackbook... decidedly similar to the advice imparted by your friendly local buzzards...
Cold on the Cheap: Winter Wear | Canoe & Kayak Magazine

The caveat is once again, the game is much different when youre learning, and prone to swimming, possibly for long periods of time. as opposed the guys in this article, paddling class V+ all Loc-dog dirtbag style.... not that they dont get stupid wet and very cold, they just dont let it stop them from the full-on experience.
we all learn under sub optimal conditions in one way or another....it's character building.
Old 11-27-2013   #27
Granbury, Texas
Paddling Since: 2013
I personally don't think you'll ever get hot in the dry suit. The water is so chilly, even in early/late June, and the dry suit will work wonders! Might as well dress like you'll be swimming then be unprepared. At least get a dry top.
Canyonlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013   #28
Denver, Colorado
confluence kayak in denver had a used palm drysuit in an xl. i think they only wanted 250-300. it might be woth a look. its on the consignment rack. you should get a few seasons out of it.

BTK. is offline   Reply With Quote