Old 08-27-2011   #1
De Graff, Ohio
What should I get?

Ok I am interested in starting to whitewater kayak. I live in Ohio, not much here but we do have a man made whitewater park about 30 min away and they are supposed to be installing another one 45 min away.

I am looking for that kayak that I can run the flat waters around here with when my friends do in their touring kayaks but that I can also run rapids in. I dont know how fast I will progress but the New River and the Gauley isnt that far away so I hope to be able to run those eventually.

In my opinion (not worth much) something like a remix xp9 may be perfect for me. I have also looked at the Remix 79, Diesel 70, Jason Rogue and Villain. Problem being I dont know that I want to spend that much on kayak starting out until I really get a feel for it.

I would like to buy used but the only thing I have found on craigslist around here is a Wavesport XXX w/ spray skirt, paddle and dry top for $300; a Riot Boost 55 w/ paddle for $400 and a Peception Overflow (older) for $350.

Would one of these work for me? Any better suggestions?

Skier_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011   #2
De Graff, Ohio
Forgot... I'm 6 ft tall, 160-165lbs and 32 in long inseam

Old 08-27-2011   #3
Jackson, Wyoming
Keeping up with buds in touring boats in anything likely to be at all suited to a play-park is a tall order. This seems to require a two boat solution. If you dont really want to play, maybe a 14 foot day tourer (think WS tsunami or Perception Carolina type boat). I take mine through the playpark and easy rapids, as long as there is plenty of water and no tight moves to make.
wyosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011   #4
SYOTR, Tennessee
ouachita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011   #5
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I wouldn't touch the XXX with a ten-foot pole. I had one at one point and could BARELY fit into 5'6, 130 lbs....
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011   #6
De Graff, Ohio
Ok good to know about the XXX. The guy who is offering it up for sale says he is 5' 11" 160lbs and it is to big for him but obviously that must not be true...

So on the XP9 how stable is it in flat water, lake situations?