Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Click Here to Register

Quick Links
Buzz Forums
Home / Portal
View by Forums
View w/o Forums
Partner's Forum
Access & Safety
Kayaking Forum
Kayak Trip Planner
Kayak Gear Talk
Rafting Forum
Rafting Gear
Rafting Trips
Snowriders' Forum
General Boating
SUP
Lost & Found
Betty Buzz
The Eddy

Photo Gallery
Creeking
Rodeo & Freestyle
Snow Riding
Member's Albums
Upload Photos
Classified Ads
Whitewater Kayaks
Kayak Accessories
Rafts/Accessories
Other Boats
Skiing & Boarding
Want Ads
Industry Jobs
Place an Ad

Old 11-15-2011   #11

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
I've got several friends with 60" frames on a 13' sb and they all run 9' oars, so yes 8.5 oars may work. You never want to leave an oar unattended because it may whack or spear you. Try resting the shafts under your legs to keep the blades out of the water

Old 11-15-2011   #12

Fishing from the driving seat is pretty hard on the river unless you anchor, or are on some pretty slow big water. With pins and clips I have often been able to stuff the oar handles under the front seat edge when I want to take a break with oars out of the water. With oarlocks you can just pull across and set them across the frame if your straps are long enough. I agree that floating with unattended oars in the water is a recipe for getting your balls knocked off.

Old 11-15-2011   #13

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Check these out from Outcast.
Fishing pontoon boat and float tube gear and accessories | Outcast

Mostly you want your oar handles safely out of the way to prevent injury.
KJ
Old 11-15-2011   #14

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
The Cataract blades will keep the oars from diving, but not float them at the surface. Cat blades and counterweights will do that.

I switched to wood oars, Gull from NZ, which have a pleasant feel, aren't expensive, and float nicely.

Also made some thingies for parking the oars, by looping broad velcro tape around the shaft just above the blade, with patches of the opposite sort on the very front of the frame or on the nosecones of the tubes.
Old 11-16-2011   #15

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
Check these out from Outcast.
Fishing pontoon boat and float tube gear and accessories | Outcast

Mostly you want your oar handles safely out of the way to prevent injury.
KJ

these don't work however if you use pins/clips or non-convertable oar rights, because the blade angle winds up not laying flat like shown it would stick into the tubes and cause the shaft to be too far away from the frame. ...
Old 11-16-2011   #16

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Sorry but dropping oars is perfectly OK, something that is commonly done and is also a technique. So floating oar blades are key to keep them from diving so you minimize problems often associated with shallow/rocky rivers. If you drop your oars to just relax, you need to pay attention to them just like you'd need to pay attention to what the boat is doing since you have no control. In the right place it's just fine. Cataract oar blades will keep your oars up quite high even without counterbalances. Carlisle blades will pull your oars down to sink, so you really want cats.
Old 11-16-2011   #17

Pittsburg, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
Sorry but dropping oars is perfectly OK, something that is commonly done and is also a technique. So floating oar blades are key to keep them from diving so you minimize problems often associated with shallow/rocky rivers. If you drop your oars to just relax, you need to pay attention to them just like you'd need to pay attention to what the boat is doing since you have no control. In the right place it's just fine. Cataract oar blades will keep your oars up quite high even without counterbalances. Carlisle blades will pull your oars down to sink, so you really want cats.
Thanks for this info. It sure helps to have a resource such as this forum to see what other people are using and why. Sounds like Cataracts would be better siuted under the situation I am looking at. While I don't expect the blades to float completely, any added bouyancy is helpful.
Old 11-16-2011   #18

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
You might also try a bungee loop around a frame member that you can use to pull down the handles and elevate the blades above the surface and out of your way
Old 11-16-2011   #19

Pittsburg, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
You might also try a bungee loop around a frame member that you can use to pull down the handles and elevate the blades above the surface and out of your way
Now that's using the ole noggin!!
Old 11-16-2011   #20

irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
I don't think dropping ones oars is such a good idea personally--I usually ship them or tuck them under my knees when I want to relax. I too, have Cat oars and blades and like how they will float--but letting them go causes them to pivot forward while floating and possibly smacking a passanger...