Old 05-13-2008   #1
lynchburg, Virginia
Paddling Since: 2008
what makes a good all round boat for the begginer?

I'm new to the kayaking realm, i've gone canoeing in flatwater and class IIs but just recently ran down a class III in a ducky and just loved it. Now i want to buy a hard boat but don't know what to get, i was hoping someone could point me in the right direction, hopefully there is a swiss army knife of boats out there that i don't know of, something good for creeking park'n play and running the river. if anyone knows anything please reply to this. thanks.

ckrajewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008   #2
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Send a message via AIM to wnccreeker
I would have to say, no, there's really not a 'swiss army knife of boating,' your best bet is some kind of river running boat, usually what people start out with. Your best bet is to get a used one for two or three hundred bucks, and start with that. An older model play boat works great, because they run rapids and play well, although when you get into creeking, like, class IV and up stuff, its way easier to piton and you go kind of deep off drops and stuff. but by that point you should be ready to by a full on creek boat. Or, if you get more into play boating, by the time you start getting really good at surfing I guess you'd be ready to bye a newer play boat.

Also note that taking a ducky down a class III is probably several orders of magnitude easier than a real kayak.

wnccreeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008   #3
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Have to agree that there is no swiss army boat, and with that said I have a river runner, creek boat, and play boat in the arsenal. I think the best boat to start with is a river runner like stated above for a stable boat that gives you the most options and allows progression. Then as you develop you can get into boats that allow you something more specialized if you want.

Good River Runners:

Dagger Mamba
Wavesport Diesel
Jackson Hero
Liquid Logic Remix
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/MARKBI%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/MARKBI%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]Pyranha Burn/others

Definitely demo as many boats as possible to try them out before buying so you know what feels best.
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote