Old 05-18-2005   #1
what kind of kayak?

i am just starting to kayak and i want to get a boat for a reasonable price. i am 6'2", 175 lbs, and i will probably be spending most of my time in Boulder Creek. any suggestions?

peterfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005   #2
^not just Boulder Creek. any other areas near Boulder

Old 05-22-2005   #3

I just started boating a few years ago, and I've currently got a Big EZ (by Wavesport). I'm around 150 lbs and 6' and it's worked well for me so far. It's worked great as a river runner (I've done up to class IV+ in it), and it's also pretty decent for surfing and playing in holes. Although it's a little hard for me to throw ends, it would probably work fine for you since you're a little bigger than I am. Plus, since they've been around for a few years, you might be able to find a good deal on a used one. Good luck!
essie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005   #4
thanks for the advicd
Old 05-27-2005   #5
I would definitely recomend starting out w/ a used boat. You'll spend 1/2 to 1/4 as much as you would for a new one, and it will give you a chance to learn what characteristics you prefer in a kayak. I'd look for something that's good for general river running and is still somewhat playful, but I'd avoid all-out playboats and creek boats for your first kayak.

If you think you'd be interested in a Dagger Medieval, I just put mine up for sale and I'm about your same size (6'2" 180 lbs.)
c_t_smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Posting Rules