Old 05-07-2012   #1
colorado, Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
what kind of crapper is the best?

I am pretty new to boating and trying to get my new 14 ft. raft setup for some multi-nighters. I dont know shit, pardon te pun, on the crappers available to buy. Whats the word? what is the better crapper to buy for someone who, how to I say this, needs an "extra" heavy duty load factor?)))

beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #2
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006

Not sure there is a better "groover" (thats the name of the crapper on the river) than the "Jon-ny Partner" made by Partner Steel. At nearly $600 it should be. Good luck.

Laserjock62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #3
Johnny Partner is the way to go.
mrkyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #4
Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Johnny Partner is "the shit".

I've never used one, but the River Banks System looks good, also.
Karma is like this: If we set causes in motion the effects come back to us.
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #5
prescott, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1982
hey beetle,

if you're just starting out i'm guessing money is a priority.

get a 20mm rocket box and a toilet seat.

i've been using the same set up for 30+ years. in the old days, they used to make us plastic bag our "materials" for each day and store them in the rocket box. now we just 'deposit' right in the box.
(perhaps that was TMI)

basically you don't have to spend a lot of money to poop in the woods, IMHO.

86304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #6
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Groover 101 based on my experience. I have grooved on all of these on at least one river trip. All of these are available from Cascade Outfitters so the prices are from their website.
Johnny Partner - $587 - the Cadillac of groovers. Expensive, a bit heavy, will withstand years of use and abuse.
River Bank - $369 - sturdy, stable, nice. Only used this once awhile ago, so I don't remember too much about it.
EcoSafe - $190 - lots of folks use these and love them. Requires a rocket box. I have used these many times. Sturdy, easy to secure on the boat. Not my favorite.....don't like the rocket box, find them tippy, don't like the small "poop chute" design. Just my personal opinion, lots of folks use and love them.
Pett - $117 - I have seen one, but never used one. Not accepted on all rivers? Uses wag bags.
Bucket with Gamma Lid - $50 for the Restop, or $20-$30 if you make your own. This is the system I have used for the past 8 years. Simple, easy to make and use. Easy to clean in a scat machine, slightly more challenging at an RV dump station. Not accepted on the Grand Canyon. We have used this on the Salmon, Middle Fork, Snake, Rogue, Deso, San Juan without problems.

These are the ones I know about. All of them work fine. Just depends how how much you want to spend and where you will be going (Grand Canyon). Folks will chime in on their favorites.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #7
Louisville, Colorado
Depends on where you are boating. If you are Glenwood I would be looking to be sure your groover met westwater regulations. A few of them meet every river's regulations. Like Ecosafe and I think Johnny Partner. Apparently one draw back to the Ecosafe is your junk sitting in the tray, or so I have heard anyway. We, and most of our friends, have the ecosafe. So, when it is time for more than one tank thay are easy to come by.
catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #8
prescott, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1982

rocket boxes are accepted on all rivers, grand included.

86304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #9
Telluride, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Just got one of these from eco safe. The toilet seat has been redesigned and works awesome. The old seat had a pee catch that was always nasty, now it all fires directly into the can. The lid works really well as a seal too, it's not air tight but it is way better than the old one that attracted the new kit is cheaper too at $149. Check it out:

Boulder Outdoor Center Snowboarder's Store Products by GTS INC Eco Safe - Complete Toilet System w Square Seat
tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #10
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1999
I've been the doo doo boat twice down the Grand now and would NOT recommend the Johny-Partner. The price is way too high and simpler setups will yield better results. In hot weather, the vents at the top will have your boat and surrounding 20 foot radius smelling like you wouldn't believe. Plus, the guys at the rental company said the welds crack and cause more leakage issues. The 50 mil ammo cans with a simple riser on top and seat setup work best. They seal up when full and there is no venting to worry about. Just my humble opinion. "Your shit is my business"

bjsconstrux is offline   Reply With Quote