Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1
San Jose, CA, California
Paddling Since: 1998
What is the Optimal boat volume to paddler weight ratio?

Hi buzzards,

I am trying to help a friend choose their next creek / river running kayak. Her body weight + gear, is ~ 145lbs.

Which in general puts her at the higher end of the weight range for small size boats.

And the lower end of the weight range for medium size boats.

The question then is which end of the spectrum is it is best to be on the low or high end relative to weight?

I made this google sheet to help model this information for the boats she is most interested in. Have a look if you want to getter a better understanding of the factors in consideration: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

buckmanriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2
Hailey, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2003
Don't Get Overcomplicated

Anything in the 75-80 gallons range would be perfect for her. With some manufacturers that's a S boat, and with others that's a M (ie: the Karma M vs. the Burn M are ~16 gallons apart). I would go with a M size personally, because I like to float a little higher on lower volume runs. Past 80 gallons and she'd better be a fairly strong and competent paddler to throw it around, but if that were the case she'd probably not be asking for help during the selection process.

From your list I'd choose the Burn M or the Shiva M, but then again I'm partial to Pyranha boats over any others.

If you want to be the man, you've got to beat the man!
DriftaBit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3
Grand Junction, Colorado
imo if shes at the high end Id go medium with the small she'd sit deeper in the water gotta factor in gear and supplys just my 2 cents.
flipper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
She's sounds like she's in the small range for boats. A medium shiva would be way, way to big, that boat is 86 gallons. I'd go with a small mamba or medium burn (which runs small)
CB4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5
Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
I read a nice article on choosing the size of a boat by Stephen Wright, and he made a good point. Choosing the boat based on volume doesn't make any sense. A boat could add a lot of volume above the parting lines, or have very little volume above the parting lines, yet the kayak will paddle identically. They give weight ranges for a reason.

He also said it's best to error on too big, than too small.
bystander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
Spread sheet is no substitute for paddling different models in the small and medium sizes. If your friend is from same area (San Jose) you should hook her up with other boaters who have similar boats she'd be interested in acquiring... bottom line is simple: when you sit in/paddle the boat that fits, you know it just about right away. You can try out earlier models (Burn vs Mamba vs Jackson, for ex.) and still get a valid "feel." But there's no way to compare boats in a spreadsheet - you have to paddle them to learn what fits you best. Just my 2 cents...
B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7
Breckenridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
As someone who only has 10lbs on her. Get a medium so she can enjoy lower water and still float on a self support multi.
paddleskirepeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8
surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
Karma S

Have her get a Karma S. You can email me about outfitting it to perfection.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12 Karma S cockpit reaer view.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	12348   Click image for larger version

Name:	13 Karma S cockpit top view.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	12349  

Click image for larger version

Name:	11 Karma M custom thigh hook.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	834.6 KB
ID:	12350  

No risk, no reward. It is not that we have to, it is that we get to. Preparation and education are essential to self-confidence and success. - KV
"If there is no risk there is no adventure."- Bill Briggs
Ken Vanatta is offline   Reply With Quote