Old 04-18-2013   #11
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
Don't forget Jack's Plastic. He has some pretty bomber looking cat tubes. We have a 16' Sotar and for all intents and purposes it has a 10' frame. The part of the frame that "rests" on the tubes is about 7'. It has a ''cow-catcher'' front and a ''beaver-tail'' back portion to the frame. IMO, the front part of the frame works quite well. The beaver-tail back isn't worth crap. We run a trailer frame w/ a Tuff River Stuff, Drop-Everything-Bag to actually pack gear.

tmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013   #12
durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1964
Give us a call

Jpw has been specializing in catarafts since 1988. Whith a good longevity record and lots of great designs that can be customized.

Try this site out if you want to customize your cat tubes. We have sizes ranging from 12 in dia to 36 in dia tubes and 30 ft long.

Jack's Plastic Welding, Inc.

This is a table to our custom tube styles page.

jpwinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013   #13
Boise, Idaho
That's a low price on that NRS "cool cat." Are those boats already on their way out? If so that was fast and I've heard they're not that great. I think you would like a 16ft AIRE Jag. and I have seen at least three of them in the Boise craigslist recently.
rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013   #14
Boise, Idaho
2007 Aire Cataraft 16 ft. Jag

This one has the newest tube design.
rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013   #15
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
I've rowed a lot of different Cats. I have a soft spot for the old Jack's Daddy Cat, as that was the very first raft I rowed class V and the first raft I used on the Grand Canyon. The Aire Jagarundi was great and my boat of Choice on the Upper Animas for many years. Far more nimble than the old Jack's. I had a 16' Hyside Cat with 24" tubes and that was bomber for big trips and lots of gear; essentially a hypalon Daddy Cat with a slightly better rocker. I especially liked the factory nose cones when running into a big wall on the Piedra. I rowed a Sotar 18' ST on the Futaleufu and was impressed. Great fabric that you can pump way beyond normal tolerance and plenty of kick on the ends to get over those huge waves. If you can afford it go with the highest end boat like a Maravia or Sotar. The stiffer the better for a cat I think. AIRE is the best bang for your buck IMO. NRS /HYSIDE are great too. I like 16' for all purpose cat. 14 or even 13 are way more fun to row but you lose a lot of water line and carrying capacity if you are planning to take a few people.
Essentially I'm a kayaker who occassionally rows a desert trip with my 159 Hyside SB, so I'm not an expert on all things cataraft.

hullflyer is offline   Reply With Quote