Old 05-03-2010   #1
Erie, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
What camping stove to get?

Anybody done some good research or have a strong preference on an ideal camping stove for the price?

CUBuffskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010   #2
Indian Hills, Colorado
what are you going to use it for? My beta is 10 years old, but in terms of preference:
Backpacking or weight/temp sensitive: MSR Whisperlite or whatever is latest and greatest whitegas.
Just something to quickly heat up a pot of water: MSR or Primus propane/butane stove.

DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010   #3
Erie, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
butane i'm sure would be fine - probably 90% car camping with maybe 1 or 2 overnight rafting trips a year.
-Chadwick Shoults
Twitter: CUBuffskier
CUBuffskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010   #4
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
If its 90% car camping and includes a raft for something bigger, I love my Coleman 2 burner propane stove:

Coleman - PerfectFlow 2-Burner Stoves -

Mine is an older model, but very dependable. Sometimes I do wish I had the griddle and grill options, but has not been a big deal at all. Their road trip grill has a lot of good ideas, but is pricey and pretty awkward for anything other than car camping.
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010   #5
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
Yeah, a coleman propane stove is a nice deal for car camping. They make white-gas versions too, but they're not worth the hassle. I have a whisperlite international, which I like a lot; easy to field-strip and repair, burns anything (including overproof rum, so I've been told). The big downside is that it has two settings: off and HOT, so simmering takes a little finesse.
craven_morhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010   #6
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
If you're not backpacking with it stick with a 2-Burner. White gas doesn't work as well as Propane because the 2d burner feeds opf the first and only gives 40-50% of the primary burner's heat. Very difficult to use with a griddle for pancakes or hashbrowns on a river trip. The 1 Lb propan tanks are everywhere and can be used with lanterns, hot water heaters, etc.

If you're backpacking in winter and cooking for two, look at a white gas sngle burner stove: MSR Dragonfly has excellent adjustments, but the burner is small and tough to use with a frying pan; The Whisperlite International has a larger burner, but to reduce heat you have to be sure to lightly pressurize the fuel bottle, a bit of a pain.

For self contained Kayak trips where you are heating water for coffee and oatmeal, look at the Jetboil for size and efficiency, they make conversion kits that let you use the jetboil with larger pots.

Canister stoves are easiest to use, but don't work very well in the winter.
twmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010   #7
I'm right 50% of the time
Paddling Since: 1977
Colemans are OK. I got one from the 80's that has served me well. I think that the quality is down.

I like the Primus @ $90- Link or the Brunton @ $125 - Link

If you want the best, then Partner Steel is the way to go - Link
Claimer: Someone that makes a claim that they have been there and done that, can do anything you can do better than you. I hate "claimers"
brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010   #8
Indian Hills, Colorado
FYI, Primus gas is a bit hard to find and expensive. That said, I have a cheap little primus sort of like this: Primus and keep it in my truck to heat up some lunch skiing or cook myself a quick meal while camping. It can double as a backpacking stove.

For car camping, I like the propane grill/stove combo. Coleman
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010   #9
Boulder, Colorado
I'm a big fan of the MSR Whisperlite and Dragonfly.
The jetboil (and the propane/butane backpacking stove in general) are pretty worthless when it is really cold out, so don't bother trying to melt snow with one when it is 5 or 10 degrees out. Though for river trips, should be perfect.
zfeldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010   #10
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
Everybody swears by them, but I strongly disargree about Whisperlite backpacking stoves. They gum up and are very difficult to clean. The dirtiness can render them useless; without expertise and the little repair kit, if you are in the backcountry and it gums up you are screwed. Mine failed on a bike tour in Alaska. Bad timing. Just because the design is old doesn't mean theyr'e fool proof. I don't have a vote for the best one, just this vote for the one to avoid.

Dude, I'd see you on the river but I'm hardly ever out there.
SimpleMan is offline   Reply With Quote