Old 05-05-2010   #51
Canon City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Those old Coleman white gas stoves with the detachable tank that hangs in front or fits inside for transport can be converted to propane. I was looking for a new plunger gasket kit for an OLD white gas one, and saw this thing and gave it a shot and it works great.

climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010   #52
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1988
CampChef All terrain stove gets my vote. model is AT50 i think. I've used it on numerous weeklong trips thus far and its great. 20k btus per burner. it sounds like a fighter jet enginge when cranked, yet simmers very low too. good size cooking area - 2 big pots/pans no problem. The other 'all terrain' model is heavier due to cast burners instead of steel, as well as removable legs included, but puts out 30k btus per burner, which puts the partner steel stoves to shame. on sale now at amazon for under $100 - great deal.

jjgards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010   #53
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Originally Posted by ZGjethro View Post
I love the pop can alcohol stove. Does the idea work with other fuels like gasoline or kerosene?
Gasoline will torch like a M'F'er and maybe explode: too volatile. Don't even bother to try it.

Kerosene I've not tried in this sort of stove. But my guess is that it's too heavy and oily, difficult or impossible to light, and might just sputter and go out. It needs to mix with air, which is why kerosene lamps have a wick.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010   #54
Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
not much to add since pretty much anything will work for you based on your preferences, but speaking of refillable propane, you can get an adapter for the 1 lb green bottles for a few bucks that will refill them off your normal sized grill tank. Costs a fraction of what the bottles cost and green to boot. I've been using the same two 1 lb "disposable" tanks for going on 10 years now. I think the adapter costs $10-15.
I like that idea, because I have three 25lb tanks for the grill, so I'd almost always have a supply to keep them filled.

How long does a 1lb bottle last would you say? I just bought a Coleman 2 burner myself, and for the most part, it will normally serve just the familly, maybe two families. Is one or 2 of these 1lb bottles sufficient to cook dinner an breakfst for 8 people?

I have zero experience with anything but a BBQ grill (and it won't fit on the raft)... LOL
BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010   #55
Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Originally Posted by BoilermakerU View Post
How long does a 1lb bottle last would you say? I just bought a Coleman 2 burner myself, and for the most part, it will normally serve just the familly, maybe two families. Is one or 2 of these 1lb bottles sufficient to cook dinner an breakfst for 8 people?
Depends on what you are cooking, but probably. Propane ~ 21,500 BTU/lb. A Coleman on high burns 10,000 BTU per burner per hour. Remember the dishwater.
Real adventure is only one bad decision away.
Wadeinthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010   #56
Albany, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
Originally Posted by brendodendo View Post
Colemans are OK. I got one from the 80's that has served me well. I think that the quality is down.

I like the Primus @ $90- Link or the Brunton @ $125 - Link

If you want the best, then Partner Steel is the way to go - Link
I've been using the Brunton since last year and recommend it. Good simmer capability, a piezo starter that actually works, and wind shields that fold out of the way for large griddles. has it for half price (they usually have the best prices for Brunton gear) at Brunton Profile 2 Burner Stove FREE S&H 81-100728. Brunton Camping Gear.
malloypc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010   #57
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Anybody ever have regrets about buying a Partner Stove? Seems like they are always on the river. There are many other cheaper stoves with equal or greater BTUs. I suppose you are paying for durability and something made in the US. That Brunton looks like a really good deal.

In the basement: 2 old school Colemans, 2 Whisper Lites, and one single burner propane. I am thinking about pulling the trigger on a Partner and was curious if anybody had strong opinions against Partner. They just seem like stoves that will last a lifetime.
king kong kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010   #58
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I got my first Partner Stove this year, and used it on a recent Deso trip. Love it. I got the 2 burner with windscreens. My rafting buddy has the 4 burner with stand and windscreens. He's used it for years and wouldn't use anything else. I had been hesitant about paying the money for the Partner, but it's really sturdy and should last a lifetime. I was in Pocatello and my friend took me over to Partner Steel to check out the stoves. I got to watch them building the stoves and the folks there were way nice & very proud of their product. I like that I can use a large propane tank or the 1 lb. green cannisters to fuel this stove. I looked at the Brunton before I got the Partner. Nice stove, but liked the Partner better. I can't remember anyone ever saying anything negative about the Partner stove, except maybe the price.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010   #59
Canon City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I've got the Partner 2 burner with break-apart hinges. It's so nice to be able to actually fit 2 large pots on the stove without having to have them off center and balanced on the stove. Other than the cost, I can't think of any complaints. I guess I wish the 2-burner and the partner blaster fit into one rocket box- it's damn close- but I can't have everything my way. . .
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010   #60
Jenks, Oklahoma
Partner Steel Stoves

Got my Partner Steel 4 burner many years ago. over the years, It has been used lots and when I put the brillo pads to it, looks like new and still cooks like new.

These things just do not wear out. The only thing that can wear out is the burner units and burners are replaceable, but I do not know of anyone replacing the burner.

Now is the time to buy a Partner Steel Stove as they go up in price pretty often, one of the few investments these days that actually increase in value over time.

I have one of the Camp Chef AT stoves as well and it does burn hotter than my Partner. Other than taking a bit longer to boil water, I have not had any problems cooking river food on my Partner Stove.

I have also used the standard Coleman 2 burner white gas stoves and they work well. It is just a whole lot easier to hook up a propane tank than deal with white gas. Do not know about the newer china made coleman stoves but the old ones last for a long time and the price is right. My coleman is stashed away in the storage shed, since I got the Partner, I just never use the coleman.

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote