Old 05-03-2010   #31
Boulder, Colorado
Originally Posted by DanOrion View Post
You can simmer a whisperlite with this technique:
1) pump up stove normally (10 - 20 pumps), prime, lite, let run hot for 1 minute.
2) turn off stove, blow out yellow flickering flame. Be sure flame is out. Really sure.
3) CAREFULLY, unscrew fuel cap and let pressure off the bottle, screw cap back on tight
4) Pump fuel 1x.
5) Turn on stove, light burner with match or lighter. The heat exchanger will already be hot enough to vaporize your gas. Running on one pump is pretty close to a simmer.
I've used this method for years. Really does simmer pretty well. The "Be sure flame is out. Really sure." is pretty clutch and can get a little sketchy during the day when you can't see the flame very well.

I finally gave up and got a Dragonfly to use if I expect to need to simmer much. Even if not simmering meals, being able to turn it down to keep a pot of coffee hot then quickly fire it up to make something else is nice.

zfeldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010   #32
Rainy Northwest, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980
I have a Camp Chef All Terrain Stove. I love the high output burners way better than my Coleman, and its not too heavy. The Coleman doesn't cut it in a cold wind. I think the Stansport high output sounds like a great option, and looks easier to clean than the Camp Chef.

swiftwater15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010   #33
billings, Montana
Paddling Since: Tues
Send a message via Yahoo to mttodd
There is a reason why MSR is a prominate company, and it is partly due to the whisperlite international in particular. It was one of their first products, and one of the best stoves ever made. Self cleaning shaker jet and field serviceable parts make it a no brainer. I've used one for years at over 9500 feet and had no problems. Irritates me hearing people bagging on a proven product. If you could only have one there aren't too many with a track record like the whisperlite. El flaco is right on for car camping, tree and big bottle is the way to go.
mttodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010   #34
Ft. Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
if you want a really cheap but amazing stove look into making your own alcohol soda can stove! I used one on the AT for 1,100 miles and it never failed! also if you get good at it you can make one on the spot!
here is a great sight to check out!
A better soda can stove -

if you are doing a self support kayak trip this is defiantly the way to go!
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010   #35
The next zone, .
Originally Posted by CUBuffskier View Post
butane i'm sure would be fine - probably 90% car camping with maybe 1 or 2 overnight rafting trips a year.
Partner Steel.

Not as cheap as the others but they have a stove or two that will fit in a rocket box and will last a lifetime..
"I feel better than any other time when I am in the mountains and uh I cant explain it ya know...." - Shawn Farmer..........
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010   #36
Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Originally Posted by CUBuffskier View Post
Anybody done some good research or have a strong preference on an ideal camping stove for the price? Probably 90% car camping with maybe 1 or 2 overnight rafting trips a year.
I used white gas for 30 years. Messy. Your want propane with a refillable tank (not those damn green canisters). For a tank I think Lite Cylinder is much better than a steel tank. They are lighter, you can see the fuel and they have a longer life span. I got the 10# one for $59

Originally Posted by brendodendo View Post
Colemans are OK. I got one from the 80's that has served me well. I think that the quality is down. I like the Primus @ $90- Link or the Brunton @ $125 - Link. If you want the best, then Partner Steel is the way to go - Link
Colemans are OK for the money and will last for many, many years. I haven't used the Primus or Bruton but they should be OK. Partner would be overkill. Yes they are nice, heavy duty, well-built stoves, but they cost a bunch for what you want to do. I was not that impressed when I used the two burner with built in windscreens. I thought it was really just a glorified Coleman (10,000 BTU/burner)

Oslo is on the right track

Originally Posted by Oslo View Post
25K BTU per burner is lots more than Coleman or Partner. It will boil water fast and the large diameter burners make it easy to simmer or use a griddle without having a hot spot. The price is right - $49 on sale.

Originally Posted by catwoman View Post
We just ordered this bad boy for rapidly heating dish water and feeding large groups. I like that I don't need another table for the stove, but it is heavy! Cabela's -- Camp Chef Explorer Stove
Not significanly more BTUs than the Stansport and as catwoman mentioned it, weights a ton. I am not sure about the legs on this stove, but with most of the other 2 burner stoves a stove stand works great.
Real adventure is only one bad decision away.
Wadeinthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010   #37
Louisville, Colorado
I like the lite cylinder! Definitely go refillable on the propane, save the white gas for backpacking. I have a stove stand, and a couple lower output coleman-type 2 burner (or grill single burner). Not really a fan of the stove stand, a little flimzy for large group cooking in my experience. I cooked for 35 folks on the move for 6 weeks at a geology camp on stoves similar to the one I ordered , and was impressed with the rugged durability. A friend had one on a recent river trip, and I was jealous after using one again. The wind was brutal while we were cooking, I think we would have been hating it witout lots of BTUs - it still took a while. So, I shopped for one when we got home. But, it is on back order, so at Flaco's suggestion I am going to stop by Costco on the way home to see what they have, didn't notice anything like that last ime I was there. the timing of this thread is great for me.
catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010   #38
thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
I have ten or twelve two burner coleman stoves that burn white gas that I aquired over the years they work ( time proven) nothing fancy. Just don't leave the unused gas in them to long and use fresh gas or you will have big problens, gas does go bad. Simple maintenance will prevent big volcanic eruptions that scare the piss out of everyone within 100 or so miles. But even those two burner stoves are quite expenses any more.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010   #39
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
If you want to save a few bucks on a car camping stove, there are plenty of older (quality) green Coleman two burner gas stoves in good condition for cheap at garage sales, thirft stores, relatives/parents, craigslist, pawn shops, etc. For $15 you can buy a regulated converter ( Century® Propane Stove Regulated Converter: Sports & Outdoors) and run the stove off propane. You can get a nice setup for a lot less than new. I've done this for the past several years with no problems, including using it on several multi-day rafting trips.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010   #40
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
For a backpacking book I field-tested 30-odd stoves. The best gas-bottle type was the Coleman Xponent series:

Coleman Exponent Xpedition Stove Reviews

They also come with a single burner. Here's a hanging stove I built from an Exponent Xtreme:

Once I discovered this series, I quit using liquid-fuel stoves. With a liquid feed cartridge (most bottle stoves are vapor feed and don't work in cold weather) it cranks until it's empty even way below freezing. And the PowerMax cartridges are recyclable aluminum. (And you can make really nice alcohol stoves from them.)

Homebuilt alcohol stoves are an obsession: I've built about 20. My favorite is the basic pop-can stove, but the side-jet ones made from tapered-neck aluminum bottles are also nice. They are by definition a solo cooker and most suitable for quick-cooking meals based on boiling water, like freeze-dried glop and ramen.

For car and family raft camping, the basic 2-burner flat box Primus / Coleman / Brunton stove with the universally available 1-lb. steel propane bottles is a good choice. If you buy a larger propane bottle, look for a little bitty one, like 4 or 5 lb. There are nice plastic see-through propane bottles, which cost $$$$.

Unless you're doing long trips with big groups. In which case, you'll be better off with a Partner 4-burner.

Chip is offline   Reply With Quote