Old 05-03-2010   #11
Professional Transient, See above.
If you're doing colder trips (near freezing or colder) stay away from the butane and isobutane canister stoves as their performance sucks below 20F at best. They can be made to work, but typically involves some modification of keeping the canister warm (i.e. turning it into a grenade of sorts) or freezing ones hand by having to hold the canister to help warm it.

st2eelpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010   #12
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I just got my first Partner Steel stove and it Rocks. Got the two burner with built in windscreens. We used it on Deso last week as the secondary coffee stove, while folks cooked on a 4 burner Partner. Heavier and a lot more expensive than a Coleman, but built to last and take a lot of river trip abuse. Glad I got the windscreen model.

cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010   #13
Erie, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
wow lots of great advice! keep it coming if you have some personal insight
CUBuffskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010   #14
Boy Howdy!
Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
We got the Camp Chef Sport Utility D-60LW double burner and it works great on the river,takes the abuse, aand is economical. It fits in an action packer which we use as our kitchen box along everything we need.
Who's your monkey?
pinemnky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010   #15
Indian Hills, Colorado
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
Everybody swears by them, but I strongly disargree about Whisperlite backpacking stoves. They gum up and are very difficult to clean.
This is totally true in regard to the MSR whitegas stoves. They require a repair kit and basic mechanical fluency to fix something on the fly. I have had MSR stoves break down many times in the backcountry, but always been able to fix them. It's typically carbon deposits in the heat exchanger which break off and get stuck in the little fuel jet.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010   #16
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
I've never had a problem with my whisperlite gumming up, though that may be due to them getting moved around enough to activate the shaker jet. They have a pin that moves back and forth that cleans carbon from the jet; if your stove is stationary all the time and you don't move it around much, it may gum up.
craven_morhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010   #17
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
If you're car camping and loading stuff on a raft, size and weight aren't an issue IMO. Running out of fuel (and dealing with the hassles of pouring white gas) is not worth having a small profile in the trunk of your car. You want to boil 5 quarts of water in 10 minutes, or whip up dinner in a 16" skillet; not cook a 10oz freeze-dried stroganoff package.

Go with a refillable propane 5lbs tank and a 'tree' to hook up to your stove and your lantern. Make sure you get at least one burner in excess of 5K BTUs - Costco actually has a nice 2 burner stove on sale right now. That set up will cook big meals& provide light for 3-4 days without a refill. And you could even run a separate gas grill off that tree....and I know you do like to grill. Regardless, stay away from those disposable green propane canister- they're wasteful, have a short burn rate, and are totally expensive in terms of $/gal of liquid propane. There's a place on 38th in Denver that sells small tanks (5lbs or 10lbs) for cheap, and you can get them filled on Arapahoe in Boulder for about $7.

Now, if space in the trunk is at a premium, this could be a cool option: Cabela's -- Coleman® Signature Series All-in-One Cook System

I like the idea of slow cooking a pot of chili while on the river for the day. Still get the small tank and hose, though.

Propane Tree:
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010   #18
Kayak/SUP Instructor
The High Ground, Colorado
Whisperlite. I was a Grunt in Alaska for many years and humped all over the state. Spent many, many nights under the Northern Lights and my Whisperlite always worked like a champ. I would clean it about every two years, but not because it needed it, but because you should maintain your gear.

Otherwise you can build your own stove.

"Let us cross the river to the other side and rest beneath the shade of the trees." ~ Last words of Thomas Jonathan ''Stonewall' Jackson
Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010   #19
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I also have a Whisperlite International and have never had any issues with it just prime and light - although the plastic pump for the fuel bottle is now held together by duct tape so it's not the safest stove anymore but the pump is replaceable. Also - it's true the stove is either off or on high - there is no simmering or cooking over low heat with this stove.
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010   #20
Indian Hills, Colorado
You can simmer a whisperlite with this technique:
1) pump up stove normally (10 - 20 pumps), prime, lite, let run hot for 1 minute.
2) turn off stove, blow out yellow flickering flame. Be sure flame is out. Really sure.
3) CAREFULLY, unscrew fuel cap and let pressure off the bottle, screw cap back on tight
4) Pump fuel 1x.
5) Turn on stove, light burner with match or lighter. The heat exchanger will already be hot enough to vaporize your gas. Running on one pump is pretty close to a simmer.

DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote