Old 06-15-2008   #1
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
What boat to get?

I want a new boat. I am looking for a play boat that I can also use in class IV rapids. I am 5'11" and 180 lbs. I want something I can play in (advance to the next level) but also allows me to run some of the faster bigger water without too much problem. Is there such a boat? Or should I just get two?

Things that come to my mind:
- liquidlogic CR 125.
- liquidlogic Ronin 59.
- Dagger Agent 6.1.
- WaveSport Project 52.

rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008   #2
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
my opinion is that your better off just getting two different boats. A river-playboat, like the Liquid logic CR, can play some and run some but its not great at either one. Having an aggressive playboat and a creekboat you'll be able to have the best of both worlds. Of the playboats you listed, I'd go for the project. Its really easy to learn some basic playboating in that and it's not half bad at running some bigger water.

jballen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008   #3
Big Building with Gear
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
All of those boats will do well for what you're interested in. The CR is by far the fastest of the 4 and is alot of fun on bigger green waves and for downriver play. I (6'2 190) like my Agent 6.4 for play and it is a surprisingly good river runner. But all boats have different personalities, and trying a couple out will really help make your decision. We've got most of those boats here at the shop if you're interested.
2510 47th St #A1, Boulder
Alpine Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #4
Thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I'm wondering why Jackson boats aren't on your list. IMHO they are the best boats on the market. If you are looking for one boat for all, the Fun is the one!

I run IV in my Star. I get thrown around a bit, but I think that would be true for any play boat on IV. At your weight you would be looking at the AllStar.

I agree with the above post, think about getting a play boat, and either a creek boat or river runner. I have a full range of boats, play, free runner, and creek boat. At this point the only reason i have the free runner is to take other people on the river. I stick with my play boat or creek boat.
You ARE a soul, you HAVE a body.

rockinRio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #5
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
you are to big for a agent 6.1 but perfect for a agent 6.4 if you wanted to beable to run more.
plays like a bad ass, carves great, edge transfers great, loops great.ohh the speed. and runs creeks great

i love my agent 6.2 and would't trade it in for anyother boat.
5'11" 160 lbs

bluegrass creek mainevent
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CB8702B0.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	538   Click image for larger version

Name:	350C0208.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	539  

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #6
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Originally Posted by rockinRio View Post

I run IV in my Star. I get thrown around a bit, but I think that would be true for any play boat on IV. At your weight you would be looking at the AllStar.
Wouldn't he be best fitted in the SuperStar at 190 lb.s?

PS - It's my first season in a Jackson boat. Came from a LLogic V56 and I was convinced of the difference in one run. I've found the AllStar to be very user friendly, easy looping, super predictable and easy to initiate moves in. The outfitting is the stuff I've dreamed of. Ran dowd aat over 5' yesterday and, as long as your not in the back seat, it's a very capable rruner. It seams like EJ has taken the best of many of thye radical changes in playboats over the past few years and come back to the stuff that works for the common joe. My .02. ...I haven't tried all the playboats out there so as is usually the case, jump in a few of your buddy's boats and see what works for you.

What a great year for boating in our beautiful Colo!

"Dying ain't much of a livin" - The Outlaw Josse Whales
cokayakn is offline   Reply With Quote