Old 01-18-2012   #1
Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
What are the best ELBOW PADS?

I'm looking to replace my vintage Tao Berman Stohlquist Elbow Pads and I'm wondering, for all you class 5 creekers out there, what is the best elbow pads for whitewater kayaking?

-Your feedback is appreciated.

Favre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #2
Denver,, exhaustion
Our crew has at least 3 diffrent types.
I personally have a pair of RaceFace mtn bike pads... they are all day comfortable and offer great protection. I will admit though that i will be shoegoo'ing one of the pads this off season as the stiching on that pad is pulling out after one season. (granted a pretty long season with around 60+ days... but still)

Also worn in our group are the NRS elbow pads and some old Lacrosse pads. while i can't speak for how these pads fit personally, i can say that we had no elbow injuries in a season of hard boating.

the Lacrosse pads dude swears by his.

Sooooo.... i would say the ones that are the most comfortable (if you can try them on) remember that you will have at least a dry top and most likely some layers at times.

I also would not be opposed on my next pair of just going with the least expensive. try a 2nd hand sports store for the Lacrosse pads.

"We should restore the practice of dueling. It might improve manners around here" -Edward Abbey
adgeiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #3
Durango South, 4CRS
Paddling Since: 07
I have no clue what the best are, but I have been really happy with my NRS pads. Good coverage over the elbow, the 3 straps hold them in place all day, and they swivel easily to not impede elbow movement. Still in great shape after two seasons.
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. - Helen Keller
yakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #4
Thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I use the Level 6 pads

They stay in place and have great protection without getting in the way.

The only drawback is they hold a lot of water, and I've noticed that my arms get a bit colder because of it.

I've seen a couple of guys with the NRS pads, and they couldn't keep them in place to save their... well elbows.

That's what I know.
You ARE a soul, you HAVE a body.

rockinRio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #5
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I have had the NRS pads since 2008 and they have taken a lot of abuse and are still holding strong, and they are fairly cheap. The only downfall I see to them is they aren't padded as much as some of the other ones on the market. That being said, I am looking to replace mine this next season with either the Shred Ready Tsunami pads or the SixSixOne Comps (both around $30).

Best of luck and keep your elbows in tight
DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #6
Professional Transient, See above.
I like Shred Ready's elbow pads (about $30 new). For me they stay where they're supposed to. Comfy enough.
st2eelpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #7
Paddling Since: 96
The best elbow pads are my 14 year old Lotus design pads. Still going strong after 500+? runs. Unfortunately Patagonia bought Lotus and then stopped their whitewater line...
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #8
Haley Station, Ontario
Paddling Since: 2002
I had a pair of Shred Ready Tsunami's that were pretty good. I now use a no name pair of biking ones that are great. The biggest thing for me is good forearm coverage since I tend to 'use' rocks a lot.

Dan C
Rapid Media TV Guy
Read rapids? Read Rapid! The Whitewater Magazine
Join our Facebook Page for Special Offers
and read all of our back issues online for FREE!
DanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #9
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
I gave up on my Shred Ready pads when they kept coming loose while being worked in holes. I'd come up with only half the pad still attached. I recognize that I shouldn't have been in the holes in the first place, but that is another story...

The velcro on the top half is that part that comes undone:

I have been very happy with my six six ones (661). They feature a full arm wrap the whole length of the pad, making them basically impossible have removed for you.

brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #10
South Bend, Indiana
I've been pretty happy with these; they're inexpensive ($1, well-made, and offer a decent amount of coverage without being restrictive.

My friends using RaceFace and SixSixOne elbow pads have been pleased with theirs too.

jeff_m is offline   Reply With Quote