Old 09-14-2014   #1
Edwards, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Werner vs. AT

So I'm sure this topic has been talked about a lot on here but I'm in the market for a new paddle. Right now I have a crappy AT fiberglass paddle (whatever the one with the white blades is) and I'm looking to upgrade.

It's obvious that Werner and AT paddles are the biggest companies out there so I have kinda narrowed it down to those two. My friend has the AT2 and I love it but the only problem is the price. I know that Werner's carbon paddles are just expensive though. I am starting to lean towards Werner because they have a much larger variety and have most of their carbon paddles in fiberglass or whatever their cheaper alternative to carbon is.

Colorado // Kayaking // Skiing // Film
Caleb125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014   #2
I have both an AT and a Werner (both fiberglass). The AT was new this season, Werner I've had for 10 years, so obviously much more history with the Werner, but I think they're both good paddles - no complaints on either.

spthomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014   #3
pnw, Washington
If you go with bent shaft the bend is different and thats up to you which is better. When it comes to longevity, I have seen many AT paddles break, Werner wins hands down.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014   #4
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
For me the choice comes down to durability. I tried AT again this year and had a cracked paddle in less than 10 uses. Doesn't matter how good your paddle feels if it's broken. Until someone produces a paddle with comparable strength I'd go Werner.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014   #5
x, x
Paddling Since: x
I am a Werner paddle user. I enjoy the bent shaft of the werner paddle over the AT because I can grip it better and it feels better in my hand.

I do want to mention that AT has more durable options sooner and with a lower price for the edging.

People have called it "dynell" i've heard "kevlar" but the botom line is AT offers a strong edged paddle at a lower price than Werner.

Having the edging from werner or AT will buy you years of life in the durability of the paddle.

There are tradeoffs for having a foam core edged paddle vrs a fiberglass or carbon blade. Edged foam core blades tend to feel different in the water at first vs a flat fiber paddle.

In all, if you want a paddle that should last for years get the foam core edged blades. If you dont mind replacing and or wearing down a FG paddle every 3 years or so go with the fiber/carbon.

Also, I know a guy who had a carbon blade werner and it did not last any longer or preform beter than my fiber glass werner. plus its solid black.

I'd like to hear other peoples thoughts as well, how did you all get to like what you like about your paddle?
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014   #6
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Werner uses a 3 piece construction and will replace any piece that needs it. That includes whittling down your blades to half the size they were. Werner figured out how to get their carbon fiber blades to whittle instead of fracture for most impacts. AT paddles in my experience tend to fail catastrophically rather than gradually. Every paddle with break on a big enough hit but AT's break pretty consistently with much lesser impacts. When I owned an AT it felt great and I dug it way more than the werner bent shaft. I'm on straight shafts now and wouldn't ever consider going back to an AT. Too much money for such a fragile product.
The sunshine walked beside her
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014   #7
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014   #8
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Werner. Period.
DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014   #9
Grand Junction, Colorado
I like the feel of a AT bs but like others have stated I broke my super light in 2 seasons use I wish I could say different cause I dont like the feel of werner paddles just my 2 cents
flipper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014   #10
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I'm a Werner guy. Love the paddles. AT bent shaft didn't feel as good for my personal taste as Werner.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote