Old 09-15-2014   #11
SW, Colorado
Normaly wouldn't comment, but...

Had an AT2 which I really like the ergo's of, but it is broken (not from extreme hard use or impact). Fortunately it only cost $450!

GET A WERNER!!!!!@#$%^&*(!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014   #12
Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002

I have paddled them all, my favorite currently not in the mix is my CORE, when not in my hands I am very found of my Werner Sho-Gun. As a company there are made here in the USA and are very reasonable on the warranty side. The grip on AT is one of the biggest differences and were the blade starts in the water on a stroke. Never got use to the grip and felt like I was a bit behind when it hit the water. I can't help to mention that Werner is on sale right now in the shop, call for details, there are legit. Demo's are available as well and the Lower Blue is running.

Keep the Hairy Side up.....

TenMileCreekKayaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014   #13
Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
What's your thoughts on Saltwood paddles? I demo'ed a Jitsu and a straight shaft Saltwood Paddle, and really liked the handle on it. It fit my hand much better than a Werner where you grip it. It's also very lightweight with a hollow wood shaft and carbon fiber blades. Does anyone know if they are durable at all?

This was the paddle:
bystander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014   #14
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
If you go with AT get a SuperDuty. Mine is still in really good shape with 200+ days of use.
coloclimber512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014   #15
I just go an AT eddy from for $270 and although I'm pretty new to paddling I really like it, love the way the bent shaft feels and it feels great in the water. I also have a werner powerhouse strait shaft and like it as well but still really love the way the eddy feels a lot better. I know I've heard AT paddles aren't as durable but I thought at the price it was worth a try.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
jtp72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014   #16
Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Will beat any-day...

Got a AT2 SuperDuty 197, 30 offset, for $400 have Backcountry beat that!!!!!

Keep the Hairy Side up......
TenMileCreekKayaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014   #17
Edmond, Oklahoma
Paddling Since: 1988

this has been an ongoing debate for years. the way i look at it is this. if were going to paddle the creek together and you have an at paddle. i need to be sure that your back up is a werner break down. for my safety and yours. paddle a werner and back it up with a werner.
robfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014   #18
Edwards, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Thanks for all of the replies! It seems pretty obvious that Werner is the way to go. Now that I know that what are your thoughts on the sherpa vs powerhouse? From what I have been able to gather is that the powerhouse is a bigger blade therefor more power. The Sherpa is a smaller blade but still a river running paddle therefor more forgiving on the shoulders. I already have a play boat paddle so I would just use this for river running.

Oh and I will probably go straight shaft fiberglass, not carbon... too expensive haha.
Colorado // Kayaking // Skiing // Film
Caleb125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014   #19
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Powerhouse, unless you're particularly small and can't handle the larger blade. It will eventually whittle down to Sherpa size anyway. I could see going Sherpa for a breakdown since it saves a little weight and you, hopefully, won't be using it often.
KSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014   #20
Dallas, Texas
Paddling Since: 2007
I've had both AT and werner... my vote is werner hands down. I've broken two AT's before switching over to straight shaft. I enjoy the powerhouse in both FG or Carbon.

Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote