Mountain Buzz banner

Weight range for kayaks

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  CB4Life 
#1 ·
I have a Prijon Pure Small that is 72 gallons but the max weight is only 165lbs. I also have a Liquid Logic Huck that is 66 gallons but can hold up to 190 lb. Does Prijon just pack a lot of volume in there boats or is that normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

#2 ·
Complicated issue

The weight range of a boat is as dependent on design as on volume. Modern playboats, for instance, pack a lot of volume in the center so you can spin around your center of gravity, regardless of direction. Creek boats have length for speed, rocker for turning, and features that influence tracking and turning. They vary with design.
I'd trust manufacturers recommendations for the most part, because most of them test extensively to figure out what works for most people. Prijon has a long reputation for getting those things right. They blow mold, which is much more expensive than rotomolding (the usual process), so it's in their best interests to get it right. It takes several hundred boats for them to break even on a mold.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.