Old 08-18-2007   #1
Toronto, Ontario
Paddling Since: 2005
wavesport Z for beginner - 150 lbs

Hey Folks,

Just wanted to get some feedback to see if the Wavesport Z might be the right boat for me or not.

I am about 5'10" and about 140-150 lbs. I read that the Z is better for larger paddlers, but found a great deal on a used boat, and am thinking of buying it.
Is this boat too big for me, or would it be a good starter boat.

I will be doing river running most, very minimal playboating, and focusing on class II/III rivers, and moving up as I get better. I don't know how to roll yet, but feel pretty comfortable on the water, I have rented a Pyranha Burn recently and really liked it.

Can you tell me if i should wait for a better deal to come around, or will this boat work for someone about 150 lbs?

mattk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007   #2
V for Victory
9300ft, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Send a message via AIM to SummitAP
I'm 5'9 155# and I like my Z (III+ river running). I've really only been paddling since July (14 river days). It is a good and forgiving boat although hard to roll if it gets very wet inside.

You'll probably need to outfit it to get it to fight right (tight)... go to Confluence in Dtown. They did a great job for me! I can't recommend them strongly enough!

SummitAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007   #3
pnw, Washington
z was a good boat and is nice and stable, just make sure you arent lost in it due to size.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007   #4
I would think a X would be a better size for you.
Like it or not, all of us are the result of a sexual act.
Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007   #5
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
If it were me I'd pass. It think it would work, but after a little bit of time you're going to wish you had volume more proportional to your size.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote