Old 04-10-2016   #1
Columbus, Georgia
Paddling Since: 2016
WaveSport EZ v. WaveSport Fuse 48 v. Pyranha Recoil S??

I'm extremely new to paddling and I already love it and am trying to decide on which boat I should buy out of these three.

I am 5'9" 145 lbs and size 10 shoe. I live right by the Chatahoochee River which is home to an amazing Whitewater Course that ranges from Class I to Class V depending on the time of day and weather. The river calms down after the course, but I have never truly been too far down past the end of the course. Anyway, I am looking for a small whitewater/playboat to learn on and also be able to take on the road for a weekend getaway (not a touring boat though, just a day on the water).

I have looked around a bit and found 3 boats in very good condition for under $500, but have not tried them out yet. The EZ comes with just a paddle for 440, the Fuse 48 is by itself for 330, and the Recoil comes with skirt, paddle, helmet, PFD, and a car carrier for 550.

I'm not going out for a cheap boat, but since this is my first boat and I also don't have that big of a budget for a newer boat, these three are my options. Again, I am a very new paddler and I learned on a Pyranha Burn III S. I am leaning towards the Recoil because of the gear that is included, but I am not sure if the boat would be a right fit (physically) or anything.

Here are the boats:

Thanks in advance guys, also look up the Chatahoochee Columbus Course so you can see what I'm working with over here.

Brgrover123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to J
I can only speak to the EZ. Great all around boat that can take you far. But that is not a great price for a 15 year old design... I bet you can find it for half that.

J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016   #3
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Skip the Recoil. Not many people liked it.
FallingH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016   #4
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Go for the Fuse, as long as it's not cracked or otherwise beat to pieces. It's an updated design of the Ez series (think 3rd gen) with better ergonomics, updated outfitting (much better backband setup) and is a good all around river runner . Take the $220 you saved by not purchasing the Recoil and you can find yourself some good used gear for around the same price. For what it's worth, the paddle that is included with the Ez is a $120 paddle, nothing special.

For other possible used kayaks & gear back east go to the gear swap section of
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016   #5
Columbus, Georgia
Thanks guys! Turns out the Recoil was already tentatively sold and the Fuse is my second pick due to the reviews and the fact that the seller is in town.

Equipment wise, Im iffy on a helmet I found, Shred Ready Super Scrappy
Old 04-11-2016   #6
Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
My biggest question is: Do you really fit in a EZ or Fuze 48. Those are small boats. At 5'9" and 10 feet my fear is that you'll be moving the seat all the way back to fit. That usually does not work out well in small boats. Weight wise you are ok now. But if you put on 10 lbs or grow (don't know how old you are) you'll be looking for a new boat.

I'm 5' 9" 10 feet and 165 lbs and I cannot squeeze into either of those boats for more than 30 minutes without my legs falling asleep.
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016   #7
Grand Junction, Colorado
go for a medium sized boat its gonna be a tight fit
flipper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016   #8
Columbus, Georgia
I'll be trying the Fuse out Wednesday before I buy it and determine how I feel in it. I am 20 and I am a size 30 waist. I'm a very lean build and I don't put on weight, or won't for a couple years. When I do, I'll probably be looking for a new boat anyway. also I find that a snugger fit boat is more comfortable and easier for me to maneuver. However, if the boat doesn't fit right then I'll have to find another boat
Old 04-11-2016   #9
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
my $.02... and yes i am biased towards Jackson, a brand which some people cant stand..

I am Not a WS fan....I had a an EZG and it was not a good boat for me. hard to roll and uncomfortable. Fuse is probably better boat, but still an older design.
My beta is to Look for a Jackson fun series... 2fun 2009- 2016. for a river-play boat (like the fuse)
or a Star series for more aggressive playboat. Allstar for the older ones, Rockstar (Medium) for the newer designs.
JK are the top selling company now,for a reason. they are really good for beginner/intermediate paddlers. (they are also close by in TN... search all the local shop for demos that are being sold. or maybe a call and see if they offer factory blems.. probably not... but worth a shot. )

Also : ( and are CL search engines. kind cool to be able search the whole country.

also for helmets, WRSI are safe budget helmets. super scrappy is a glorified batting helmet that will not give the same impact resistance as better helmets.I got my bell rung hard when i used one, (same era as paddling the EZG. I got worked a lot.) my advice is all from my trial and error. and certainly other people have had much better experience with WS and shred ready. (
Look at to check some affordable options. Good luck, thats rad that you have such good paddling nearby. you will progress quick...
and keep up exactly what youre doing before you buy... demo, demo ,demo...
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016   #10
Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
I'm a 29" waist and 29" inseam just for the record. The more you boat the upper body weight you'll put on. I get the idea of getting a small boat to boss around. Been there. But if you have to push the seat back, your not doing yourself any favors. You need to stay forward to make anything positive happen. You'll be supper squirrey in a front surf, bouncy in a side surf, no back surf. It will be more difficult to flat spin. Every thing will be more difficult except the flat water ends if your seat is all the way back.

Also, you'll be good in any boat for 15 minutes. But if your doing 1 to 3 hour sets?? the game changes. I got $5 that says your legs are going to be hating life after 45 minutes in a EZ or 48.. ? I could be wrong.

dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote

help a brother out, newbie, pyranha, wavesport, whitewater kayak