Wavesport Diesel - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-09-2016   #1

Hope, Alaska
Paddling Since: 2012
Wavesport Diesel

I have been kayaking the Jackson Little Hero and am looking to step it up with a edgier and bigger boat. At the moment I am looking at a Wavesport Diesel. The Diesel 60 paddler weight range is 60-140 lbs and the Diesel 70 paddler weight is 120-190 lbs. I am 5'4" and 117 lbs, What size Diesel is best for me? I'm afraid the 70 may be too big and I am sitting too far on the upper side of the 60...? I mostly run III and a few IV creeks in Alaska

I am also looking at Pyranha Burn, Dagger Mamba, or Liquid Logic Remix... however I haven't been able to find any used boats for sale that fit me, which is why I am now considering the Diesel. Any input is appreciated, cheers.

Deatherage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
How old are you, and do you expect to grow more? If so, I would go with the 70 knowing you will have a little room to grow into it and just move the center of gravity as far forward as you can..... the Burn, Mamba and Remix are excellent river runners as well.
Old 10-10-2016   #3

Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
Long time diesel owner and my advice would be the 70. The 60 is a small boat. The 80 is a big boat. You said a little something about creeks. If you'll be sliding over and around rock then I would shy away from the diesel and be thinking remix. The diesel works best in deeper water and the hard edges can grab a bit on rocks. But that makes it carve big eddies line and ferry better too.
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016   #4

Hope, Alaska
Paddling Since: 2012
I am 27, hopefully I won't be growing too much more! Thanks for the info. I plan on paddling creeks mostly but also bigger water when I travel down to the lower 48.
Deatherage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016   #5

Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deatherage View Post
I am 27, hopefully I won't be growing too much more! Thanks for the info. I plan on paddling creeks mostly but also bigger water when I travel down to the lower 48.
Creeks = Remix. remix is still a great boat in the deep. I went from Diesel 80 to 70 and now Remix 69. The remix is king for me on most everything.
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6

Worcestershire, Midlands, UK
Paddling Since: 2010
Diesel is a great boat. However, have you considered a Zet Veloc? They are sporty on the lower grades and larger volume like the Diesel, but are great creek boats as well. Bomber plastic, and nice simple outfitting.
SimonMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #7

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2002
Diesel is a great boat for Class 3-4. It can handle easy creeks no problem. Once you push beyond that you'll be looking for a new boat. A little extra volume is always nice especially for big water & multi day trips!

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
jmacn is offline   Reply With Quote