Mountain Buzz banner

Wavesport Diesel

8K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  JBar 
#1 ·
I have been kayaking the Jackson Little Hero and am looking to step it up with a edgier and bigger boat. At the moment I am looking at a Wavesport Diesel. The Diesel 60 paddler weight range is 60-140 lbs and the Diesel 70 paddler weight is 120-190 lbs. I am 5'4" and 117 lbs, What size Diesel is best for me? I'm afraid the 70 may be too big and I am sitting too far on the upper side of the 60...? I mostly run III and a few IV creeks in Alaska

I am also looking at Pyranha Burn, Dagger Mamba, or Liquid Logic Remix... however I haven't been able to find any used boats for sale that fit me, which is why I am now considering the Diesel. Any input is appreciated, cheers.

#2 ·
How old are you, and do you expect to grow more? If so, I would go with the 70 knowing you will have a little room to grow into it and just move the center of gravity as far forward as you can..... the Burn, Mamba and Remix are excellent river runners as well.

#3 ·
Long time diesel owner and my advice would be the 70. The 60 is a small boat. The 80 is a big boat. You said a little something about creeks. If you'll be sliding over and around rock then I would shy away from the diesel and be thinking remix. The diesel works best in deeper water and the hard edges can grab a bit on rocks. But that makes it carve big eddies line and ferry better too.

#5 ·
I am 27, hopefully I won't be growing too much more! Thanks for the info. I plan on paddling creeks mostly but also bigger water when I travel down to the lower 48.
Creeks = Remix. remix is still a great boat in the deep. I went from Diesel 80 to 70 and now Remix 69. The remix is king for me on most everything.

#7 ·
Diesel is a great boat for Class 3-4. It can handle easy creeks no problem. Once you push beyond that you'll be looking for a new boat. A little extra volume is always nice especially for big water & multi day trips!

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

#8 ·
I've got an older Diesel 65 and it is my creek and big water boat. I've found it to be good on everything from our Arkansas creeks to the Grand Canyon. I got it for a Canyon trip several years ago and spent another 18 days in it this fall. I'm 5'8" 155 and I like some edges. If you can find one it might be just the ticket for your size.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.