Old 04-26-2012   #1
Durango South, 4CRS
Paddling Since: 07
Watershed vs Pelican for camera

What do you use to keep your camera safe and dry while kayaking? An 1120 or 1150 peli would keep it from getting beat up, but is it too bulky to fit easily in your boat?

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. - Helen Keller
yakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #2
Leadvillian, Colorado
I think you'll find the norm for photo boating is a peli - probably more for the hard shell and waterproofness rather than just waterproof. I sit mine on the small side in between my legs with a strap around it through the center channel that runs under the seat. Guess it probably depends on how many spots you're going to shoot and the risk of swimming. I usually shoot with a SLR on runs I'm super comfortable with and then use a waterproof point and shoot in my pfd for harder or exploratory stuff. Throw a towel in to dry your hands. Try it out in your boat before buying to make sure it fits.

Matt J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #3
Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I use a Pelican 1150 and I love it. Water stays out and everything stays nice and tight with the pick and pluck foam. Also, I wear a NRS cam strap around my waist under my spray skirt at the base of the tunnel than attach a carabiner from the cam strap to the peli's handle, this way if you do swim the camera stays with you not the boat.
RockyMt.Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #4
pnw, Washington
Watershed. If you want it dry, put it in a watershed.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #5
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
I've found that the peli cases are a little harder to fit comfortably into a kayak (at least the medium-sized ones). Having owned both I like them for different uses:

The peli case is great for crush protection and is quite durable/waterproof. If I'm bringing a camera mountain biking or throwing it in the back of a car I'll use my peli case. I tried cutting out some foam from the stern pillar of my Karnali that the peli case could slide into, but it was still pretty awkward to fit into the stern. Between the legs probably wouldn't be too comfortable due to the rigid nature of the case.

I use my Watershed whenever I go kayaking. It's bone dry, I've heard great stuff about the company, and it's very comfortable to slip between your legs. Get the padded insert for the bag and your camera will be safe.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

- Nessles

Fluid Glass Network
nessles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #6
Haley Station, Ontario
Paddling Since: 2002
another vote for watershed bags

I've used both Peli cases and Watershed and I prefer the Watershed bags. I find they take up less room and can fit in more spaces easier. They are fully submersible and for easier to carry around outside of my boat.

Dan Caldwell
Rapid Media TV Guy
Read rapids? Read Rapid! The Whitewater Magazine
Join our Facebook Page for Special Offers
and read all of our back issues online for FREE!
DanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #7
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
watch out for cracks on the Peli hinge!!

I took a swim on the Main Salmon and had my camera in my pocket inside of a pelican case. When i got back in the boat the Peli case was full of water .
I then noticed some hairline cracks along the hinge that must have allowed the water aware!
LongmontRafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #8
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Pelican for the "nice" camera and an Olympus "tough" series in my PFD pocket for candids and on-the-water shots.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #9
irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
I just use my waterproof camera, works great.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #10
Searching for water....., Nevada
Originally Posted by LongmontRafter View Post
I took a swim on the Main Salmon and had my camera in my pocket inside of a pelican case. When i got back in the boat the Peli case was full of water .
I then noticed some hairline cracks along the hinge that must have allowed the water aware!
If it was a micro pelican case, then they are not meant to be submerged and are not supposed to be used for swimming. I think that the smallest water tight pelican is an 1120 and it wouldnt fit in my pocket.

Pelican Micro, Ipod, & Phone Cases -

Pinned is offline   Reply With Quote