Old 03-22-2010   #1
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
watershed vs. NRS

Looking at duffel dry bags. Thinking about the watershed Yukon or the NRS Expedition DriDuffel (medium). Is the watershed bag really worth double the price on the NRS duffel? I hear watershed bags are really nice, but if the NRS duffel will do just as good of a job at keeping things dry then it might be a good idea to save $60. Does any one have any experience they would like to share either bag?

Thanks for the advice.

If you are lucky enough to be in the mountains, you are lucky enough.
youngpaddler06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
After years of Bills bags and other simlar bags I finally bought a water shed bag. At the put in somebody drove over my full closed bag. Not only was there no damage to the bag, the seal did not open. After 3 years it is showing no wear. It has never leaked on the river.

A new bag has been hard to open the first couple of times

merritrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010   #3
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Spend a little extra and get something that will last tons longer - WATERSHED!!
PattyNYCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010   #4
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Watershed bags Rock. I have 4 of them in various sizes. The oldest one is 6 years old, and still in excellent condition. No leaks or wear spots. I recommend rubbing some 303 on the seals a couple times each season, especially when they are new. This will keep the seals from getting dry. After all those years of diving head first into regular drybags, having a duffel style was heavenly. I like to put stuff in smaller stuff sacks for easy organization inside my Watershed. I have never used or seen anyone with the NRS brand duffel so I can't comment on those.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010   #5
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
I know Watershed bags are the bomb....I want one (or three). But I have two NRS expedition duffels and I've been very happy with them. They're tough and very dry (if rolled/sealed properly).

My only complaint with them is that they can be a little difficult to seal....especially when loaded....the watersheds would alleviate that problem.

But....for the buck, I'm satisfied and confident they'll last a long time and keep my stuff dry. For a cheap ass, such as myself, I don't mind spending an extra 30 seconds making sure I have a solid seal.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010   #6
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I love our Watershed. We bought two last year, and they are so sweet. Easy to seal and open, with just a small 303 application about once a year. NRS has good stuff, but usually not up to the competitions quality, performance, and lifespan. We decided since we were buying these for a LONG time, and that sometimes dry gear can be critical, it was worth it to us. How much more would you pay for dry gear after a flip on a 60 degree and rainy MF Salmon trip?
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010   #7
Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1996
NRS has Watershed bags on sale right now. I have lived out of my NRS Bill's Bag for lots of trips. No complaints here though I have never seen the need for a duffel style bag.
Marco Esquandolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010   #8
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I used my NRS expedition duffel for three seasons of guiding and two seasons private boating since then and it's still going strong. Watershed bags are a little easier to dig around in but if you're not an intense user the NRS bag will be plenty adequate.
JHimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010   #9
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
For me, it seemed like the thing I wanted was always on the bottom of my dry bag, which required unloading everything to find it. Once I laid eyes on a Watershed bag, I was sold on the duffel style. From the picture in the NRS catalog, it looks like the NRS duffel has a roll down closure like a regular dry bag. The Watershed is more like a ziplock bag.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010   #10
your mother's house, hell
NRS is the WalMart of paddlesports!

waterbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote