Old 11-28-2013   #11
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by mikesee View Post

Multipurpose is nice, but I started with this unit because it's waterproof and easy to open and close. Everything else was just gravy.

I can easily fit my 5d3 with a 24-70 as well as a 14mm UWA inside. Your SL1 is so much smaller you might be able to fit two spare lenses, or a lens cloth, spare batt, intervalometer, etc…

Anyhoo--my $.03.

Good luck,

What a great film and adventure. Wow. The bag looks nice too.
I use a peli on a raft and I have used two different sizes of NRS Sea stow with a soft bag that looks a lot like the one MC is using above inside. The soft bag is shaped nearly the same but not waterproof.

While I have started to use some Watershed bags and they seem to work and my wife loves them, I am less convinced. The seals seem hard to do.

With the NRS Sea Stow ( which I believe was designed to slide into sea kayaks) the outer part is not rubberized but is more of a urethane nylon type surface which slide in and out of a kayak very easily. I would either slide the big one in behind the seat and it also had first aid, dry layer, extra rescue gear etc. Or the small one would clip in between my legs. I never had a leak on these bags ever. They are super easy to check for a seal as well. The hold their air pressure so you can actually check your seal. Not sure if that explains it well enough but I would regularly stuff a few grand worth of gear in there and never had a doubt. The day that I was paddling in someone else's raft at flood stage on the SF Payette and they decided to run the big hole river right was good test. The raft ended lodged upside down in the middle of dog leg on one of the only exposed rocks in the run. An hour later we got it off and the gear was fine.

The other thing that worries me about the watershed seal besides the cold and less than nimble fingers sometimes, is the few times I have been doing the photo thing and always ready for safety. When things have gone wrong I have gone from shooting pics to jumping in my boat in about 15 seconds. Literally shove the camera in the sea stow, three rolls on the seal and gone.
Not sure the availability of these anymore as the three I have are old. Like twenty years old. I still use two and have retired one to the tent bag. But they are tough.
That would also be the advantage of the small peli is that you are not futzing with a press together seal.

Of course in a raft I use a peli box in a couple of different sizes. The only peli failures I have seen are inadvertent seal dislodgement and when something gets in the seal like a camera strap or the small towel I always keep over the gear ( carry a zip lock if it gets too wet to put back in with the camera) to dry my hands a bit. I dodged a bullet on that one but if things went awry I would have lost all my gear.

After looking at sizes and ease of use I would get the one that gives you the most confidence in the seal when things go awry.

carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013   #12
Jenks, Oklahoma
I have and have used Pelican boxes, several Watershed bags and several JPW gear bags and all have worked well for me.

Just a couple things to pass on.

With the pelican boxes (mine are all older gen units) I inspect the little o ring seals often. It is easy to get a few grains of sand in there and you have the possibility of a leak. Not saying don't use them, just be aware when in sand conditions. The seals do get brittle over time and you can buy replacements on line from pelican.

With the Watershed units I have been using them since the old man of war first ones came out. I have several and only had the first one I got to use in my kayak fail. That was right at the edges of the fold and I got so many years of use out of it, no problem. Now have several of the small and medium size ones. All have been bulletproof. I find that if I keep those zip loc type seals well 303'ed they seal and unseal a lot easier. Also in the old days I just pulled the seals apart. Finally the new ones came out with those little loops and I finally read the directions. The loops make a big difference for me when it comes to opening the units.

On the JPW gear bags, lost count of the trips they have endured. Long as I push the air out and get three rolls they have been leak free. Zero maintenance on my part.

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013   #13
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
I have a few of both and base the decision of which one to use on the needs of the trip and type and amount of camera gear that I want to take along. When I was a video boater in WV and had only one camera I used a pelicase that was only for that camera. It is definitely the more bommer setup and took more of a beating than a bag would have. Start with a box and get a bag when the need arises.
"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
LSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013   #14
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Right on guys. Thanks for all the replies. I kinda anticipated this, but I think I will end up just getting both. Sounds like there are pros and cons to each and there will be situations where I will want to have both to choose from.

Happy Thanksgiving my fellow boaters!
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013   #15
I tried both, but I use the watershed bag mostly. It's easier to fit in the boat and clip it in. I couldn't fit the pelican case behind the seat so it would sit between my legs not clipped in. Pelican cases seem more protective, but I've been with Leif when he broke a camera in one seal launching.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013   #16
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005

I have a brand new pelican 1200 with the foam. Never been used and I could sell to you for Christmas!! $40 and free shipping. Let me know
Syd Miller

History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill-
Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote