Old 04-17-2013   #1
San Francisco, California
Watershed Bags

Anyone use Watershed Mississippi as fit-it-all type of dry bag? I have Bill's bag, but am thinking of ordering Watershed. At 42", it could double as drop bag under my day frame, but am wondering the size may be too long. The next size down would be Colorado. Which one would you recommend? I have bunch of smaller dry bags as well, but for a family of 6, you can't have too many bags.

If anyone use either, I'd love to hear some feedback. I think these bags being duffel instead of roll-top could be far more versatile. I am also considering a Chattooga as my captain's bag instead of getting bulky captain's box.

Any thoughts?

verendus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013   #2
Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1984
I have a Colorado and a yukon watershed bag and I personally wouldn't use any other brand. I have a bills bag I use for guests. Watershed bags are much easier to pack and I never worry about them leaking. I have had them submerged in a flip on the GC for 20 minutes and there was not a drop of water in the bag. The Mississippi is enormous. My frame set up works better with smaller bags rather than giant bag like that, but if you have space for it then it might work. Most of the time I use the Yukon bag for myself it has enough room for everything except my tent. My only suggestion is do lots of measuring and figure out how you will pack that monster.

rivers2run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013   #3
Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1984
I also have an Ocoee for a day stash bag, and a watershed deck bag for my Sea Kayak. They are all great. No I don't have any commercial interest in their products.
rivers2run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013   #4
SYOTR, Tennessee
I have an Ocoee and they're bomber. I was also surprised at how much it held or maybe it just seems that way because the long opening makes things easier to get to without dumping half the contents.
ouachita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013   #5
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I am a Watershed fanatic.....2 Colorados, 1 Yukon, 1 Chattooga, 1 Ocoee. The Colorados see the most use. One holds all my clothes & personal gear, the other holds my thermarest, sleeping bag & pillow, extra shoes, etc. on week long trips. I prefer having gear in multiple bags instead of one enormous, very heavy bag. The Yukon is my weekend gear bag, the Chattooga holds two tarps,line, stakes, and the Ocoee is a day bag. Once I saw my first Watershed, I knew I'd never own a top loader again. Colorado is the biggest bag I'd get personally. My oldest bag is over 10 years old and going strong.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013   #6
Telluride, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
It's called the "missing hippy" for good is enormous! Incredible bags, I have 2 colorados and we love them. The missing hippy would be too long and get pretty heavy.

They are made in the USA and they do great repairs. I just had the strap partially detach on my ocoee and they made it good as new for $25. You won't be disappointed in their bags. They are worth the extra $$
tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013   #7
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Expensive but if you can find a deal then great. I think i paid $100 new for a Colorado. Maybe it was the semi annual sale at

The cubic inches makes them sound larger then they look. I got one for the front of my boat where malady sits. She is notoriously bad at rolling a drybag, and the long zipper style closure should make it quick and convenient to locate stuff. Hopefully she will stop leaving stuff out so it no longer gets donated to the rio
Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013   #8
Where ever the water is...., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to peterholcombe
I just returned from a self SUPort stand up board trip down the San Juan River. I had three Watershed bags strapped to my SUP board. They were in the water or being splashed constantly and stayed totally dry. I used a Yukon for clothes, Colorado for all camping gear and an Chattooga as a camera bag. They worked great and the Jackson SUPer Fishal board carried it all so well. Yeti 35 for food. No need for a raft these days just take the SUP on easy desert floats it's way more fun...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BT000604-Edit.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	724.4 KB
ID:	6040  
peterholcombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013   #9
The Russian
SLC, Utah
I have two Colorados and OMG they are the best bags bar none. I have about 7 Bills bags and they are all for guests now. Watersheds are easy to open/close (a bit harder in cold temps with freezing hands). Easy to find stuff and they are completely air tight, NO air will escape, or get in. They are definitely an investment, but if you take care of the seals and don't throw it on the cactus, it will last you a long time.
-ALEX [ youtube ][ my boat ][ ]
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013   #10
Beaverton, Oregon
The sheer length of the closure on the Mississippi bag scares me a bit, even though I haven't heard about a single bad episode with them. The wife and I personally prefer to run a set of two Yukons, and an Animas and a Westwater for our camp set. We put the clothing in the duffels and the tent and sleeping bags in the uprights.
Side note, I've actually come to own eight Watershed bags:
- 2 Yukons
- 1 Animas
- 1 Westwater
- 1 Chattooga
- 1 Ocoee
- 2 Futas

brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote